Air Suspension

69mustang

I have a '91 ls400. I just had a local non dealer shop replace the timing belt, water pump and replace the lower ball joints. Incidently, the car has 131,000 on it and from looking at the timing belt, the belt had never been replaced!

The problem is, ever since thew did this work yesterday, when the car is parked the front suspension goes all the way down. It will pump up when running but something is now definitely wrong for it to go all the way down when parked which did not happen before this work was done yesterday. I suspect there must be an air leak, perhaps a nicked or loose line from the timing belt or lower ball joint job. Could this be an ajustment or is there probably a leak? If there is a leak, how do I go about finding it. I do have the shop manual but don't see this problem discussed.

I intend to take it back, and am hopeful they will take care of the problem but would appreciate any diagnostic advice suggestions or prayers. Thanks

ps Before I noticed this new problem, I thought the shop did a good job with toyota parts and was reasonable priced at $65 per hour. The entire job was done for a little less than a thousand dollars.

• 1 year later...

I have a '91 ls400. I just had a local non dealer shop replace the timing belt, water pump and replace the lower ball joints. Incidently, the car has 131,000 on it and from looking at the timing belt, the belt had never been replaced!

The problem is, ever since thew did this work yesterday, when the car is parked the front suspension goes all the way down. It will pump up when running but something is now definitely wrong for it to go all the way down when parked which did not happen before this work was done yesterday. I suspect there must be an air leak, perhaps a nicked or loose line from the timing belt or lower ball joint job. Could this be an ajustment or is there probably a leak? If there is a leak, how do I go about finding it. I do have the shop manual but don't see this problem discussed.

I intend to take it back, and am hopeful they will take care of the problem but would appreciate any diagnostic advice suggestions or prayers. Thanks

ps Before I noticed this new problem, I thought the shop did a good job with toyota parts and was reasonable priced at $65 per hour. The entire job was done for a little less than a thousand dollars.

So 69 Stang.....what ever became of this? I'v recently experianced the same situation. Took it to a non dealer shop...they did a great job and now the air leaks out when sitting. Suggestions from your experiance..

Steve

You have a blown air shock which costs $1000 + each to replace. I replaced all mine with springs which is cheaper but the ride is not nearly as good and of course not adjustable anymore. I kept the 3 good shocks though so if you want to purchase them on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-LS400...039757939QQrdZ1

Mention you are a member of this club and I'll give you 10% off

Cheers,

Colin :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

The good old Air shock problem. I have been putting off taking it on, but in the meantime I have done some occassional research.

The Best price I have found per 3/2/06 is $649 for the 4 shock replacement kit from Strutmasters

http://www.strutmasters.com/lexus/index.htm

1-866-597-2397 Not sure what they charge for shipping.

If you want to replace your air shocks with air shocks, they do pop up on EBAY quite often, there are 2 sets on there right now both with less than 1000 miles on them. They are asking between $250 and $300 per shock. Still much better than the new $900 to $1200 each.

The feedback I have read, rates the ride of the original air shocks as better than any of the non air shocks (both original or replacements).

Do to the declining resale value of the older cars, the $650 replacement conversion kit is most likely the path I will take. It soulnds like the front ones are a fairly easy replacement and the rear ones are a big pain in the butt!

I did talk to one sales person who said that you sould replace the front and not the rear or visa versa. you would just have to seal off the air lines. Since my leaky one is in the front I may just go that route and save the rear for a later date.

Best of luck: Bob

There is a switch in the left side of the trunk in the tool kit, to turn off the air suspension. Did the shop turn it off before lifting the car? If not the compressor will overfill the shocks and cause one or both to blow.