2009 RX350 Chain Tensioner failure

Hey everyone! First time poster possibly buying a used Lexus RX350.

We had a 2004 Toyota Highlander for 260k miles and my son was hit by someone driving on the sidewalk while he was making a left hand turn. Insurance decided to total it so we are in the market.

I found a 2009 RX350 that had a chain tensioner failure. 125k miles, overall nice shape and one owner. Has a hole in the valve cover. It is still running OK, leaking oil of course. He says it is still running OK, but I can't imagine that it isn't rattling away.

Anyways, I have not really seen any engine cam or belt tensioner fail without major damage, but I haven't heard about a 3.5 Lexus engine.

Any advice? They are asking 5k. I am very handy with wrenches, but...

Thanks!

I would think a 1 owner engine would be properly maintained so that issue would not have happened. Since it did, I would have it professionally inspected before I would buy that vehicle.

I'm curious why your son needs such a large vehicle with low fuel mileage, especially with today's gas prices.

A 2010-2013 Mazda 3 with SkyActive engine gets great fuel mileage and is very safe. My son has a 2012 Mazda 3 hatch and loves it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he is a big kid. It snows a ton where he is going to college so AWD is a must.

I had a 2012 Mazda 3 with SkyActive and I thought it was great as well, but no AWD.

We had a 2004 Highlander which is the same basic chassis as the RX so it isn't really that big.