Engine Swap On A 300

hey,

i have just recently bought a sc 300 with alot of miles and its automatic i wanna know how hard it would be to swap in a jdm 2jzgtte with a manuel transmission and every thing i would have to do to convert it to manuel

thanks

hm..i've been dealing with this swap for the past few months so intensely that i can be of help to you. the jdm motor will fit but the wiring harness will not. each coil packs, for instance, have different terminals, so you'd have to buy both the jdm harness and usa harness to get it to fit right. if you are buying an aristo (gs300) clip, you will be need get a new oil pan, the jdm ones wont clear. you may also need new mounts for the motor. jdm motors does not have an egr, which controls smog at cold temps. most supra tt owners block this off anyways, so in a way it's an advantage.

do not attemp going from auto-manual unless you have a lot of money and/or skills at swapping trannies. don't get me wrong, it's totally do-able and have been done, but not easy.

more reasons to get the usdm motor: jdm motors have smaller injectors and smaller turbos. in addition, the turbos are made of ceramic as oppose to the usdm's steal. small fixer upper, but just something good to think about. one site that i found INVALUABLE for this type of information is MKIV.com. definitely check that out.

hm..i've been dealing with this swap for the past few months so intensely that i can be of help to you. the jdm motor will fit but the wiring harness will not. each coil packs, for instance, have different terminals, so you'd have to buy both the jdm harness and usa harness to get it to fit right. if you are buying an aristo (gs300) clip, you will be need get a new oil pan, the jdm ones wont clear. you may also need new mounts for the motor. jdm motors does not have an egr, which controls smog at cold temps. most supra tt owners block this off anyways, so in a way it's an advantage.

do not attemp going from auto-manual unless you have a lot of money and/or skills at swapping trannies. don't get me wrong, it's totally do-able and have been done, but not easy.

more reasons to get the usdm motor: jdm motors have smaller injectors and smaller turbos. in addition, the turbos are made of ceramic as oppose to the usdm's steal. small fixer upper, but just something good to think about. one site that i found INVALUABLE for this type of information is MKIV.com. definitely check that out.

thank you for all the info

do you know of any sites where i could find a usdm motor?

A usdm 2jz is going to cost alot since american sellers like to charge any outrageous price for them. Another alternative is to keep your stock block and use the top end from the 1jz Itll save some trouble as long as you get a good head. Then again, if youre going to rip apart your motor, might as well get the GTE

try supraforums.com for buying any supra parts. go to their parts trader's forum, it is fabulous. new posts comes up more often than you can check it. i'm buying a pretty nice (at least i think so) usdm 2jzgte right now for just 4000 with ecu. so good deals are around, just becareful. as in AWJ's words -it is so easy to get ripped off.

Go to www.Sp-power.com. SP engineering's website. For 15,000 they will swap in a 450 Horse monster twin turbo 2JZGTE with tranny, custom drive shaft, ecu, wire harness, basically everything. They are lovcated in THE City of Industry, CA. :D

The GTEs are drop in replacements for each other. The only difference is the OBD plugs

What exactly do you mean? The wiring for the engine? The ECUs should be interchangable depending on the model years. The pre-vvti ('95?) have different plugs on the ECU, but the wiring should be the exact same as the 2jz unless you want digital dash

You shound be able to use the 2jz ecu on the 1jz, but its going to have to be a GTE ecu and GTE wiring. The guys using the new AEM EMS use the 2jz ecu for the 1jz, and the people here that swap the 1jz for 2jz use the 1jz ecu

but dont those people who do the 1j to 2j use just the bottom end of the 2j so the ecu doesnt change? but if it is the same then that will be great great news for me because i like the sound of the 1j more than the 2j and i can change between the two.

As far as i know, the only thing in the bottom end that the ECU sees would be a crank angle sensor and oil pressure sensor. Other than that, the ECU has no idea. sensors should be the same between the two models anyways

well i guess so huh... well thats all good news for me! because the sound is soo tempting. i think i am going to get both the 1j and 2j, because you can find older 1j's for a couple hundred bucks.