An Embarrassing Moment

I had one of the most embarrassing moments up to date now. Yesterday evening went to Airport to pick up my dad, there was a delay so I had to sit in the car and wait for maybe 30-45 mins. During that whole time, I had the engine on ACC because I was listening to the radio. All of a sudden, the radio started acting funny, so I decided to turn the car completely off. My mom finally called me to tell me that m dad arrived. I started the car and it would not start. It made this clicking noise. I rolled up the window and it went up really slow. I knew then and there that the battery needed a boost. Thanks to this good Samaritan, I was able to get a boost. I felt so angry because today will be a week since I purchased the 99 ES. I don't think that should have happened. Today, I will go to the dealer demanding a new battery. What do you guys think? Should that have happened after a week? I don't drive the car that often and when I do I don't leave it on. So embarrassing to have to tell someone that happened cause only had the car for a week.

Not to rain on your parade, but it may be kinda pointless to go to the dealer and ask for a free battery replacement just because this happened a week after you took delivery of the vehicle. I'm not sure if a pre-owned warranty would cover battery, if you got that kind of warranty with the car. IMO it would have been wise to have the dealer check the battery prior to taking delivery of the car.

if the battery is the original, then it has 5 years on the clock. This is about max life for most batteries. 45 min on radio won't hurt a new or strong battery, but a geriatric battery......that's a different story. The battery in the car started the car, that was the dealers check of the system most likely.

The dealer ain't gonna do anything, if he does, then he is being wicked generous.

Take the car/battery to Autozone and have the battery load tested. It is probably just old and time for a new one.

steviej

PS. spend your energy being grateful for the good samaritan rather than being angry at the dealer. :)

You're right steviej when you said

The battery in the car started the car, that was the dealers check of the system most likely.

Shame on me I guess for trusting people. I guess if the car starts the battery is A ok.

I am paranoid about leaving ANYTHING on without the engine running. My old car (not a Lexus) was so touchy that even loading the CD changer while the car was off or opening the moonroof would make the car not start, and the battery, alternator, and charging system were fine. So I am very paranoid about leaving anything running without the engine on. I would not use the stereo for 30-45 minutes because if I had done that on my old car, I would be stranded wherever I was.

So basically, I have never been under the impression that it is good or okay to use the stereo, windows, etc. when the car is off. Is it okay to do this stuff on a Lexus (or any non-american car)?

When I clean my car, is it okay to leave the doors open and use the stereo with the car off and not worry about the battery going out?

If the car in question was bought as a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle, then the battery should be replaced if it proves to be defective! From the description it probably is.

That's the exact same situation that happened to my friend. The dealer replaced the battery without any questions ,and on top of that, they apologized for the inconvenience!

BTW: The dealer was Bay Ridge Lexus in Brooklyn, NY

If its certified pre-owned then shame on the dealer and they should and will replace the battery.

If its not then shame on you, you should have had a mechanic throughly inspect the car before you bought it. Why would you trust a used car salesman? ;) Used car dealer isn't going to replace the battery.

I personally agree with chad, I never run the accessories off of the battery without the engine running. For one stock batteries aren't very high powered anyways, for two you're likely to run the radio and experience a drained battery at the most in-oppotune time.

Yep, unless they sold the car with a warranty it is sold "As-Is". They didn't even know the battery was faulty or they would have replaced it, only would have cost them $30 or so.

the car was sold with a dealership 90 day warranty plus there was a difference with original manufact warranty 7/70,000 and on top of that I extended a three year warranty or "Gold Warranty".

Well then you might have some position to have them replace it.

The warranties aren't going to cover a battery but in theory the car should have been thoroughly inspected before the warranties were issued.

To replace a battery on your car is a 5 minute job. The cost of the battery is another thing 'cause the range of prices varies, but an OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) should cost the dealer no more than $50.

As an example, I replaced my original battery on my '94ES with a Sears Diehard Gold for about $75. This is supposedly their best battery and it came with a 7 year warranty which was pro-rated after 3 years of use.

As I said before, the dealer should replace your battery FREE of charge! ;)

Well I have an appointment with them and they said they will check it out. I think they should replace it but I guess that's my opinion. I should not have had problems because I left the car on ACC for 30-45 mins after less than a week . If they don't, they prob lose a customer in my mom cause she wanted to get one of the new Corolla from that Toyota dealership. She's kind of second guessing now to whether she wants to get it from there. They prob don't care but I know that will hurt the salesguy who we promised we would comeback to get another car. All of this for something that cost less than $100.

I was waiting for somebody to pipe in about the Optima battery, and sure enough somebody did. :D

In my opinion I don't think that a dealer would put in this OVERPRICED battery! Besides, I got 6 years of excellent service from the Diehard Gold before it crapped out. I think that it would have lasted longer, but somebody in the carwash that I went to flipped the dome light switch into the 'ON' position. I didn't use the car for 2 weeks after that so it deep discharged the battery and it was stone dead. I was able to charge it, but I think that this caused the battery plates to sulfide enough to shorten it's useful life.

One other thing......I have heard plenty of horror stories concerning the Optima line of batteries, both yellow or red types. <_<

I think they should replace it but I guess that's my opinion. I should not have had problems because I left the car on ACC for 30-45 mins after less than a week . If they don't, they prob lose a customer in my mom cause she wanted to get one of the new Corolla from that Toyota dealership. She's kind of second guessing now to whether she wants to get it from there. They prob don't care but I know that will hurt the salesguy who we promised we would comeback to get another car.

All of what you say can be used to your advantage.

Fill in the sales guy about the situation. He can have some influence with the service department, if not directly than through his sales manager.

Don't tell them about the radio being on for 45 minutes. They don't need any ammo for their side to not replace it.

Your probably won't get a yellow top so don't expect one. You might get what is in stock, Panasonic most likely.

Use the 90 day warranty to your advantage.

I will venture a guess that they will replace the battery under warranty so that they keep you as a service customer and your mom as a potential sale then service customer.

good luck.

steviej

Yeah keep in mind that the real money is made in the service department, not sales.

As for the Optimas I think they're really overrated unless you have some need for them like stereo systems or extreme power draws.

I had the same sort of problem with my 94 LS400. One day i sat in the car listening to the radio with the key to ACC. After about 20 mins i tried to start the car and it BARELY started. I also noticed that after this happened, when the car was running and i was stopped at a stoplight or something with the radio on, wipers on, headlights on, brake lights on (stepping on brakes) all the lights would start to get dim, the radio would die, and battery charge light, trac off, and a few other lights would go on. once i even tapped the gas and the engine spun even a little over idle, everything would comeback to life. I thought it was an alternator. My mechanic tested the specific gravity of each cell of my battery and found that it had 2 bad cells. He said that since my battery wasn't holding a proper charge the alternator continously tried to charge the battery and robbed other devices of power (radio). Once i replaced the battery with a new once from Lexus ($60 because of my employee discount), everything has been working fine ever since. I replaced it about a month ago. I hope this may be of help to someone.

:cheers:

I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I WORK FOR A HONDA/TOYOTA DEALERSHIP AS A SALESPERSON. ON MANY OCCASIONS WE HAVE REPLACED BATTERIES AND OTHER SMALL ITEMS ON PEOPLES CARS. SO IF YOU HAVENT CHECKED WITH THE DEALER I WOULD RECOMMEND IT. A DEALERSHIPS MOST VALUABLE ASSET IS WORD OF MOUTH ADVERTISING I THINK YOU WOULD BE SUPRISED HOW FAR THEY WOULD GO TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE COMPLETELY HAPPY. AS FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO POSTED WITH NEGATIVE POSTS ABOUT DEALERSHIPS, I DONT KNOW WHAT DEALERSHIPS YOU ARE DEALING WITH, BUT YOU NEED TO FIND A NEW ONE