Baking Soda In Wash Water

Hi guys. I was at the dealer this past Saturday waiting for an oil change and heard a couple guys talking. Don't know if they actually know what they're talking about, but one guy was telling the other that he puts a little baking soda (along with the soap) in the bucket as it's filling with water. He said the soda acts as a neutralizer for airborne contaminants, acid rain and other things like birds.

Maybe I'm naive, but it seemed to make sense to me. Just curious if anyone else has ever heard of or tried this?

I think those guys were a little misinformed. You should never wash your entire car with baking soda. It should only be applied on trim pieces, lights, wheels and windshield wipers. But nowhere near any paint. I've tried it once on my wheels, didn't notice any significant difference than compared with Eagle One (maybe only cheaper).

Hi guys. I was at the dealer this past Saturday waiting for an oil change and heard a couple guys talking. Don't know if they actually know what they're talking about, but one guy was telling the other that he puts a little baking soda (along with the soap) in the bucket as it's filling with water. He said the soda acts as a neutralizer for airborne contaminants, acid rain and other things like birds.

Maybe I'm naive, but it seemed to make sense to me. Just curious if anyone else has ever heard of or tried this?

Backing soda or soap type of detergent is bad idea becasue it can easily strip wax protection from your paint and moisture from rubber seals and trim. There is a great article on bettercarcare.com that speaks to taking care of your paint. Give it a read. Taking care of your Paint

the idea of the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is to soften the water, however, you are talking a teaspoon in 5 gallons of water. Don't confuse this with a slurry mixture that you would put on a battery terminal.

I, personally, have not bought into the idea as the water in my town is not that hard.

Most of your professional car soaps have ingrediants to help soften hard water.

If you need to strip the wax off you car for some reason, then use Joy Liquid or Dawn. They seem to remove grease and wax very well.

steviej