Experience With Burned Cds

Hi guys-

For the trunk-mounted 12-disc changer, has anyone had any issues with using burned CDs? I've heard that I should use name brand, higher quality CDs, not the cheapies because the cheapies can get stuck in the player more easily. Just curious because I just bought sealevel's changer and I want this one to last.

Thanks-

my cd player is now 12 yrs old. i bought a burner about 3 yrs ago and before all this legal stuff came around i burned a bunch of stuff.

i used imation virgin cd's at avg cost of maybe 25 cents/per.

my 12 unit cd changer is now loaded with all burned cd's and i have not

had one "err" message since i replaced all the commercial cd's with

the the "home made jobs'. it was like before, i would encounter an "err"

at least 2 or 3 times a day and not necessarily the same cd.

maybe coincidence but i am happy with the results.

lexie

No problems with mine. I would make sure the labels are on tight or I wouldn't use the stick-on labels.

I had another problem with my changer with a store bought CD. The CD got stuck in between the cartridge and the changer. I could see it when I looked down at the box. I stopped by a Lexus dealer that I happened to be nearby. They told me that they didn't even try to fix these things. Their fix was to remove the entire box, install one that they had reconditioned and then send mine in to be fixed and ultimately keep it for someone else. Since I am still under warranty they were going to check to see if this would be covered.

I decided to hold off and the next day drove my car to my dealer. One of the repair gurus told me that he had a fix. He took a letter opener and jammed it against the CD and slowly wiggled it toward the cartridge. It took about 30 seconds of forced "scooting" but it worked! I haven't had the problem since (knock, knock).

Hey, I have trouble playing burnt cd's in my changer. Normal cd's do fine, but sometimes my burnt ones don't work, I figured since my SC is a '96 the whole cd/stereo system is probably pre-burned cd era, so it has trouble reading the burned cd's.

But I guess its okay cuz it usually works after the first few tries.

I use all burned cd's. I need something to stick my 19K+ mp3's on. I use Memorex because I burn so many CD-R's. I have NEVER had a problem in ANY cd player. Even old ones. I think that's more of a myth. Isn't the CD-R process just about the same that the manufacturer uses? So how could you have a problem? If your burner flips out, and mucks the disc, of course it won't work, but I've had that with commercial boughten cd's also. I DID have a problem with spot 11 on my CD Changer. It would keep the CD and not switch albums, so I just stopped using that. Since then, not one "ERR" Now if you're trying to use a CD-RW, good luck. I don't know of one that will read it.

Okay. Who wants a good laugh... :lol:

So I go out this evening to remove the existing changer. I bought a factory changer from Sealevel and it will be here tomorrow. I decided to take my changer out tonight so all I had to do was put Sealevel's in tomorrow. As I'm taking mine out I decided to perform minor surgery.

Now even the dealer took it out for me and couldn't figure out why it would run and run and run, trying to eject a CD but nothing would come out and the head unit wouldn't even switch to the CD player mode. Once I had the changer unbolstered, I turned it vertical, pressed the eject button and gave it one good bump with the heel of my hand and voila, the CD popped out. :chairshot:

I tested several other CDs, burned and bought, and everything works fine. In checking closer, the culprit CD is very slightly warped. So, if anyone is looking to buy a 12-disc changer (now that I have one I don't need), let me know. 98_sc300@earthlink.net.

on a different note i have an 02 SC430 and got a "home made" cd stuck inside my in dash factory unit. the dealer wouldnt even try removing the cd; they pulled the whole unit and gave me a new one under warranty. about 3 weeks later my disc showed up in the mail with a handwritten note from a Lexus tech telling me NEVER to use homemade discs WITH LABELS stuck on them; they're too thick and will usually jam the unit. Hope this helps other sc owners avoid jams in their cd decks.