1993 Gs300 Suspension Issue

Has anybody had suspension issues with a '93 GS300? I own one with 162,000 miles (bought it with 38,000 mi) and seems more and more to ride like and old Caddy. Very "slushy" and seems to bottom out too easily in road ruts.

The local Lexus dealer has always said that that the early GS300 never had great suspension, but mine has gone from bad to worse. Now the dealer is saying that, though there are no leaks, the struts/shocks themselves are tired due to high mileage and they are proposing to replace the 4 of them for $600. They said I would definitely see a big improvement.

It seems logical that the struts would lose their "shock protection" ability over time, but I have no experience with this.

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Has anybody had suspension issues with a '93 GS300? I own one with 162,000 miles (bought it with 38,000 mi) and seems more and more to ride like and old Caddy. Very "slushy" and seems to bottom out too easily in road ruts.

The local Lexus dealer has always said that that the early GS300 never had great suspension, but mine has gone from bad to worse. Now the dealer is saying that, though there are no leaks, the struts/shocks themselves are tired due to high mileage and they are proposing to replace the 4 of them for $600. They said I would definitely see a big improvement.

It seems logical that the struts would lose their "shock protection" ability over time, but I have no experience with this.

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

hey what's up. i have a 93 gs3 and I have 190k+. Let me tell you ... my car rides like it came from the factory. I just replaced my shocks about a month ago with lexus shocks. 600 bucks sounds about right... but let me tell you, the rear struts are like 70 bucks for the pair and the front struts are about 140 bucks. give or take 20 bucks of course... i forget what the exact dollar amount is... but anways, i paid 100 bucks to have them installed at a performance shop. so i spent well under 600 bucks granted that is the going rate of installation for these parts at other shops. so i recomend that you replace all for because it seems that they are blown. trust me, you will feel a great improvement in ride and put a smile on your face.

Hey Twinturbo,

Thanks for the feedback.

I contacted the guy at lexus who said the following in response to what you told me that I passed on to him:

"I talked with the parts dept. and we got the front shocks for $62 each, and the rears for $51 each.  All the book times I have found list the front struts for 2.5 hrs for both and the rears for 2.2 for both. 

Even at $75 and hour, that comes to $352.50.  For $100????  That's $21.77 per hour which wouldn't even pay the technicians around this place. I don't know how any shop could do that, especially with factory parts.  I think that it may have been a single tech, with his own shop, that did the job (no overhead).  I'm not sure if they are factory struts either, prices sound kind of out there.  I don't understand how the fronts would be a little more and the rears would be so much cheaper.  I'd think if the rears were cheaper, the fronts shoud've been also."

Thoughts?

Hey Twinturbo,

Thanks for the feedback.

I contacted the guy at lexus who said the following in response to what you told me that I passed on to him:

"I talked with the parts dept. and we got the front shocks for $62 each, and the rears for $51 each.  All the book times I have found list the front struts for 2.5 hrs for both and the rears for 2.2 for both. 

Even at $75 and hour, that comes to $352.50.  For $100????  That's $21.77 per hour which wouldn't even pay the technicians around this place. I don't know how any shop could do that, especially with factory parts.  I think that it may have been a single tech, with his own shop, that did the job (no overhead).  I'm not sure if they are factory struts either, prices sound kind of out there.  I don't understand how the fronts would be a little more and the rears would be so much cheaper.  I'd think if the rears were cheaper, the fronts shoud've been also."

Thoughts?

hey what's up... when i get home today, i'll take pics of the installation price that i got at a shop and if i can find my receipt for my shocks, i'll take a picture of it as well. i'll get back to this later on tonight.

Hey twinturbo,

Just wondering if you had a chance to find those receipts...

Thanks, smalltowns

hey what's up... i found the installation receipt and still looking for the lexus receipt. i'll take a nice high quality pics so you can print it out for them and show them what's up.

Thanks Twiin Turbo...

I've got my service appointment at Lexus tomorrow so it would be great to get that info.

hey what's up, i got the pics you wanted on both invoices. only thing is that i took the with my camera phone. my sis took the digi camera to magic mountain. check out the gs300 photo gallery for the pics. i posted them up there for everyone to see. hopefully this will hook you up in any way at both the dealer and shop