Changing Dvd In Navigation System

I'm a new member and I'd like to know if it's possible to change the DVD in the Lexus Navigational System myself or does the car have to be brought to the dealer to do this. It's a 2003 ES300. :huh:

Thank's, Alan

Do you know the approximate cost of a new disc and what's involved in changing it. Thanks for the welcome. Nice group of people here....Glad I found this site. :)

Alan

You get two free updates from Lexus, they made that change for 2003. They'll install them for you, but its as simple as putting a DVD in your computer, the discs come with great instructions. There are some on screen menu things that need to be adjusted.

The replacement for the 03 isnt out yet is it?

I called Lexus 800 number today. They said they in the past they gave out two free updates but stopped that abt 3 yrs ago.

New updates are issued in Sept. and there is a charge.

If someone has any documentation that they do this for free now, sure would be happy to see it. Some streets near my home that were constructed in 1991 do not appear on current Nav. system.

check with your actual salesperson and sales manager. This may be a variable dealer upgrade. Some dealers may offer it to promote sales and some may not. The 800 number will only give you the 'headquarters stance' but not the actual practice from the dealership you purchased the car from.

I didn't bother with the nav system cause people are always telling me where to go. :blushing:

sj

Push the dealer on it, they'll give them to you free. When I bought mine I was informed of this by the dealer, plus when you selected the nav package on the car price sites, they all said it included two free upgrades.

Speaking of NAV systems on ES's.....I was at my dealer today and I was looking at the new unsold cars. I was surprised to see about 1 in 20 cars had the NAV system installed. I thought that this feature was more popular but I guess people don't like to shell out the big bucks for them. I love it! :rolleyes:

Alan

I've noticed that they've gotten more scarce...

It also depends on where you go too. We have 4 dealers here, one is in a lower income area, and they tend to have every model in base form, they even have some ES with cloth seats. The others, in more expensive areas have more nav cars.

Talked with salesman and his manager about the upgrades, especially since a 6lane road over two years road near my home isn't even on current DVD.

They said NO WAY. Didn't care that some dealers in other parts of country were doing it. Said if no other local dealer does it, why should they? Suggested I go to parts dept later in year and pay.

They claimed 99.4% customer satisfaction for the dealership per the mailers used to rate them after delivery. I know one dealership that will see a drop in percentage once I get my survey.

Wow, screw them I agree. Ask Lexus corporate (you can do this through the owner section of the Lexus website) about the upgrades. They're not all that expensive, $150 or so but still.

Hell, Mercedes sells the nav system and then you have to pay for the ORIGINAL DVD :rolleyes:

Wow, screw them I agree. Hell, Mercedes sells the nav system and then you have to pay for the ORIGINAL DVD :rolleyes: I'm afraid Lexus will develop the same arrogant "we're better than you" syndrome as the others. That will really be a shame. Sounds like its already happened to this dealership...

What did you pay by the way, if you dont mind me asking...

Woah! The DVD based navigation? Thats INSANE. Basically thats $500 labor to put the disc in. My God! I've heard those prices to upgrade the hard drive navigation, but never the DVD.

Sales mgr chased us out the door after he refused his first offer. He dropped $1200 more at while chasing.

Therefore with respect to the price, about $4800 below Factory sticker (no dealer ups) and according to internet invoice figures, $200 below invoice.

Being a first time Lexus owner, I hope that's good.