Suspension Support Question

sgriffith

After purchasing my 99 RX300 in 2002, I took it to a dealer b/c of some clattering noises coming from the passenger-side tire area. They couldn't find anything wrong and just insulated some areas so no plastic was rubbing or making any noises. Well, it didn't fix the problem. I know I should have taken it back immediatly, but we just decided it wasn't worth driving over again (3 hours). Well, while having some service done at another dealer, I asked them to look at the problem. They tell me the suspension support needs to be replaced. It has been 2 years since I took the vehicle in to get the problem looked at the first time & the car has since gone out of warranty. The invoice from the first visit states that they insure their work for 1 year after the service date....should I go back & try to get them to fix this problem as it wasn't fixed when I took the vehnicle in the first time? I don't really think I have a leg to stand on & that I will have to pay for it, but just wanted to get some advice & suggestions on what I might say/do to better my odds of having them fix this at no charge to me. Thanks!!

What exactly is involved in "suspension support"? Shocks, springs? And what is the estimate to fix from current dealer? I too have a 1999 RX 300 and it makes a strange sound in the back when I hit a bump or hole. Doesn't happen all the time, but I have noticed it.

If the cost is significant, and I'm guessing it would be, I would get a written estimate from the current dealer, fax it to the old dealer along with your original invoice and ask to speak to someone who can make a decision (manager). If that doesn't work, I would elevate it up to someone above him - dealer rep, district manager, etc. The worst that can happen is they say no. If they originally stated that nothing was wrong, and now there is something wrong, I think you do have a position. If you have any friends in the legal business, perhaps they can help you do a little brainstorming.