Soft Or Firm Suspension On Your Lexus

I know we have discussed suspension dampness in the past, but we have a lot of new members.

Do you consider the suspension on your LS400 to be overly (very) soft, soft, average, firm or very firm? What struts are on your car- Originals/aftermarkets?

My Lexus had a overly firm rear suspension before I got it because it had KBB HP struts on it installed by the previous owner. I had OEM Toyota struts installed, which greatly improved the ride. Now I think my rear suspension is average to soft. The front are original, but even with the high miles I think it is a little firm in the front.

It is strange with my rear suspension (may be normal) but over big, harsh bumps, they seem to be overly firm and not absorb a lot of the bump, but over small bumps, waves, or "floaty" pavement- it seems like they are very soft and at times "floaty" in the rear. A certain spot where I pull out of work- there is a drain ditch built into the road. My 92 Buick bounces over it (typical). My Lexus seems to dip down easy, but the rebound is too slow- with the more weight in the rear- the worse it seems. My car rides smooth and probably most owners here would be 100% satisfied with the ride my car has- do not get me wrong, but I want a soft, floaty suspension. I have tested several Camrys, as new as 2000 models and most of them seem to have soft, floaty rear (and front) struts and on some models- very soft and bouncy. Are the struts on my LS400 (Toyota struts) basically the same and will they soften up even more- similar to the Camry's super soft suspension? Is there anything I can do to make them soften even quicker? I think they have gotten even softer during these past few hundred miles, but I would just like it to be softer on larger, harsher bumps- rather that that slow rebound.

The front of my car seems to have some spring sag, which may be why my cars front suspension is overly firm (by my standards). I am going to take a photo of my car and post it here and see if anyone thinks it is too low in the front.

Thanks for anya advice.

I think my ride is on the soft side. Floats along @ highway speed. Slow bumps feel firmer. Still on original OEM parts........

I do have fairly worn "H" rated Yokohama's..........I will probably upgrade to "V"'s this summer..

Hi,my car has OEM standard suspension,my car has 132,000 miles.The car has been looked after so i know things are how they should be.Ive found the rear a little to soft when ive the boot full of shopping and people sat in the back,a part from that im really happy how the car copes with the poor condition roads here in the uk.

I think my ride is on the soft side. Floats along @ highway speed. Slow bumps feel firmer. Still on original OEM parts........

I do have fairly worn "H" rated Yokohama's..........I will probably upgrade to "V"'s this summer..

Thats the way mine is 99. It floats (almost bouncy) at highway speeds, but seems a bit too firm on some sharp bumps. The front always seems a bit overly firm. I think my entire front suspension needs replaced.

Well, call me stupid. But for some reason, maybe its just imagination, my car seems to be softer in hot weather and especailly when it has been sitting in sun in hot weather, 90 degrees or above. But, other wise it is average.

95, oem, too soft. I had a 1993 infinity g20 with eibach springs right before the ls, it was a total blast to drive, but over speed bumps was STIFF, the ride was excellent at hwy speed & fun in the curves, mtns etc... Thinking about Eibach springs for the ls...

90LS,

the good news is my tires have worn very evenly all around and it track straight as an arrow :D

It just need to keep bugging myself to get some new tires ;)

When I had a new fuel filter put on 3K ago (@ 60,000 miles) the mechanic said my suspension was in good shape, so I guess I'll leave it alone for a while..........

Well, call me stupid. But for some reason, maybe its just imagination, my car seems to be softer in hot weather and especailly when it has been sitting in sun in hot weather, 90 degrees or above. But, other wise it is average.

No, your not stupid. My car is the same way. In the winter, the ride is more firm. Since it is warm/hot here now, the ride is much softer.

I guess its because when the fluid in the struts are warm or hot, it is thinner. When it is cold, it is thicker, which means a firmer ride. I just dread winter to come back, as I dislike the firm ride. If I wanted a firm ride I would buy a small 2-door sports car. :rolleyes:. I think Lexus could have made the ride a little better. I have about 5000 on the struts now. I do have the factory type struts that came on my car when new (Toyota), so I am assuming that this is the ride the car had when it was new- which I think should have been a little softer for a $40,000 (when new) large luxury car- especially considering that the agility of the car is not all that grand. The ride is not bad even in winter- do not get me wrong, but it does not have a "cushy" ride that I prefer on a large car. I have had late 1980s Camrys and early 90s Accords that had a softer ride than my Lexus has in the winter- and it does not even get that cold here in mid winter. I have seen 1997-99 Camrys literally floating down the highway, as if they were riding on air. I was looking at a 1998 Camry the other day with 84K miles. I pressed on the bumpers to test the struts and it bounced about 3 times and pressed down easily. I think that all of these car that still have the factory struts are like this. Too bad Lexus did not put the same struts on the LS400. I wish I could out Camry struts on my LS400. Perhaps the struts are worn on the 98' I tested, but I would probably prefer the ride of that car over my Lexus and have actually even considered buying a late 90s Camry or Accord to replace my Lexus and give the Lexus to my mother. Perhaps I am too fussy when it comes to ride quality and I should just be happy that I have a Lexus that is completely paid for? ;) :D

I have seen 1997-99 Camrys literally floating down the highway, as if they were riding on air.

We have a 1996 Toyota Camry with 65k miles [bought it at 47k] and the ride is just like you mentioned today and the day when we bought it.

but I would probably prefer the ride of that car over my Lexus and have actually even considered buying a late 90s Camry or Accord to replace my Lexus

I agree with that 100%, if ride was the only concern [which was one of my highest priority, when I was deciding on which kind of vehicle to buy]. But, then those cars don't have things that Lexus have. For example: Far most THE Looks, the kind of leather, the name, and etc.....the list can go on for ever.

Well, even if ride was the only conern when buying a car. Lexus is not all bad, except of Gen I LS's. My friend, just bought a 1994 GS300 with 130k and the ride of the car is just like the "Camrys" but I'm not sure if any suspension work has been done to it.

BTW: It is 1994 GS300 130k, excellent condition in&out, except for the driver seat has tones of wrinkles. FOR: $7,000.

Now, from the price and can we predict that the car has been modified in its lifetime.

OR maybe its just because it is a GS.

The thing that irritates me is the fact that why the vibration takes place in 60-70mph range why can’t it be in 80mph or above. Most parts of the interstate [the part I drive on daily basis] have speed limit of 55 to 65mph. So, to loose the vibration I have to speed [and take a risk of getting pulled over by a cop, hiding in trees] or go slower than the posted speed limit and get passed by a Buick [which I really hate]. And, in rural areas the speed limit is 45-55 mph and there are no signs of cops anywhere so you can do 80mph or above but then there are very very sharp curves and hills SO it takes it back to driving it at 60-70mph.

Sorry, for the confusion. It’s just that I have to drive at 60-70mph range everyday, because of [the above description].

Message for Lexur:

Lexur you've been Reporting the Post to me. Please visit the Visitors and New Members Forum. Please use the New Reply or Quick Reply buttons instead of clicking on the above button.

For more information visit the Forum

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=27&

Lexur Writes:

"Hi Jeff,

I like to stiff my 96 LS, but worry about the drop of spring height.

Do you have a picture before and after the eibach sprints? I just

want to know what it looks with eibach.

Thanks."

Lexur:

That's ok.

UCF3

Raminduction writes:

"I just joined the club, but have had my LS400 for some time. I found

the ride to be a bit soft for my tastes, but it was probably ok for the

person Lexus is marketing the LS 400 to. I was fortunate in that the car

I bought did not have the factory "cadillac" suspension, so I was able

to "upgrade" the beast to Eibach springs and Koni shocks. This lowered

the car about 1" all around, but greatly improved the manners and

roadability of the car. It rides quite nicely on the freeway, and back roads

are acceptable (upgrading of the anti-sway bars is next on the list),

but not quite to my approval level.

The other drawback is that the stock 6.5" wheels are a bit skinny for a

3800 pound car. I'd prefer 8"-ers all around, but Japanese engineering

won't allow this, especially on the front, where the tire/wheel is

crammed between the upper extension of the spindle and the inner

fender-well (this bizarre design makes for some v. complicated front end

geometry, especially if the roll center is to be in the right place). Looks

like I'll have to settle for 7 or 7.25" rims...too bad, as the LS 400 has

more potential than the Japanese engineering will allow.

The other bug-a-boo on the car is weak brakes. They're fine in "little

old lady" mode, but really are too small for this car. Looking to

upgrade to the later LS 400 brakes.

Of course, the thing could also use another 100 hp and 100 ft-lbs of

torque, but that's a topic for another discussion."

Raminduction:

Thought I'd re-post your comments, but I'd appreciate it if you could check out the Visitors and New Members Forum to brush-up on your usage of the Forum.

I agree with your comments, but you never mentioned what year LS you own. It would be nice to know. ;)