Lug Nut Problem

jheyen

I have a problem that hopefully I can get some help with.

I had changed my brake pads last fall and the brakes have been squeaking for awhile, so I finally got around to taking off the tires and putting some "quiet brake" on the pads. The front tires came off great and the squeaking was gone. However, when I tried to take off the back ones, I broke a piece of the special lug nut off and then noticed that the socket was not looking so good, so I couldn't even get the other side off.

My first question would be how to get the broken one off? Would it be better to take it somewhere and have then take all the special lugs off and make them normal again (not a big chance of getting them stolen here in central illinois).

Otherwise, where can I get a new socket?

Thanks,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know if you found a solution to the locknut damage problem. The locknuts was an option that one could not get the cat without in 2000. Now I will have to pay much moore to replace them with the regular lug nuts. Any suggestions on how to remove the broken off locknut?

Update: I went to my local Lexus dealer and purchased 4 lug nuts replacing the lock nuts. The dealer did not charge me labor. Parts were $36 +tax. Beats getting special tools to take the broken off lock nut off the wheel.

SInce I replaced the lock nuts for reqular lugs, I have three Lock nuts and a Key Socket if someone wants to pay some money to make a trip to the post office worth my while.