Where To Buy Alternator For '94 Ls400?

davenet

Hi,

I think my LS400's (1994) alternator needs to be replaced. I have a new battery and I'm sometimes getting a total discharge after sitting only 2 or 3 days. I took it to my mechanic for some other stuff and he said he had it on the rack running for about an hour when it died. He tested the alternator and it was not producing any juice. Funny thing is, its been fine the last couple of days again. In fact I was having the problem but in the first week he had it, it started up just fine every time. I've had to jump it several times when it was in my garage.

We just fixed a leak in the power steering pump, but it was leaking into the engine, causing white smoke when I started it. However it did leak sometime last year and spill on the garage, but my mechanic got it sealed back up so no more leaks on the floor, but I'm thinking maybe something messed up the alternator.

Any ideas where I can get one without spending $400+?

David

got the same problem, you lucky, my alternator was dead on the highway in cold winter. the power steering leaking cause the problem. I did a rebuild only cost under 100 CAD$. can't remember the exactly amount. (you will see it's cheap)

just go to some parts store or local repaire shop ask for rebuild. they will tell you where to go near by. BTW, dont believe they if they suggest you to change your battery, orginal one is good. (unless you are sure wanna change.)

after rebuild, the electricity seems not as good as it b4. specially in very cold winter or very hot summer time. you will feel the A/C is not that strong when you stop at a red light. for anytime else, it works fine.

after rebuild, you should fix the leaking ASAP. I got a friend in china, same model. 94 LS. A Lexus mechanic in the work shop tell him that it's common in 94 LS. He change the whole thing. ...... ~~~~

anyway, mine is still leaking, have to refill the steering oil every other month.

by the way.... there are some another common problem: the rear bushings and front joints will be gone later. dashboard lighting problems.

I'm lucky, I got them all.

hope you are not lucky like me.

Autozone can order one for you $180.00 lifetime warranty I would recomend that over rebuilding my 93LS400 was doing the same thing working periodicaly continued after rebuild must have been a short inside alternator. replaced 6 months ago with one from autozone no more problems

Take it to a alternator/starter repair place first. I had to have a new brush set and a new rotor because the slip rings were worn down too much. Cost was about $100. total. Note I took off and put back on. The new rotor was about $80.

You may only need a brush set--these can be installed in about 4 minutes !!!!!!!

Hi,

I also own a 1994 LS400, and my power steering is leaking as well. However, anyone care to explain the location of the alternators for me? I don't see how the power steering leaking would affect the alternator.

When I was doing the annual four-wheel allignments, the mechanics showed me where approximately the power steering fluid is leaking out. It is actually located right towards the end of my steering wheel axle. So if that's where it is leaking, I didn't really bother to fix it. I just add some fluid every other month, and so far, my battery is still kicking and running (not the original anymore though). I bought the new battery from AutoZone. Pretty good actually.