Loud Idling

isis28

2000 RX 300

2 problems maybe someone can help me with...

1. When the vehicle is in any gear including park, it will sporadically idle loud. It doesn't seem to idle hard or vibrate only the tone changes. It will go back and forth from loud to normal tone.

2. Occasionally when the vehicle is being started it will sound like the key is being overturned even though its not. (grinding noise)

Does Anyone have any suggestions or information on these problems?

Thank you.

I have a similar idling noise in my 2001 RX300. I have documented it on a video and will schedule an appt to have it fixed. It turns out that the headliner is vibrating in resonance to the engine at low idle rpm. It appears to be coming from the area of the overhead lights / sunroof controls.

If you have a grinding noise when you try and start the car, it sounds like the starter solenoid is not forcing the starter gears into mesh properly.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1999 and a 2000 RX300 and I've noticed that they both idle loudly at times. When I put them in park, the noise stops because the idle goes up a little bit. I asked Toyota if the idle could be raised a little to stop the vibration and they said that there was no idle adjustment, that it was all computer controled. That's all I know.