Buying '07 RX 350. Head Gasket check...

Hello,聽

I am located in Chicago burbs. I am trying to buy a RX350 for under $10K for my son. Found 2007 year model. 150K miles. Today had a look at it. It has oil/transmission fluid/PS fluid leak (all of each or some - hard to tell). Tie rod boot torn on passenger side wheel. But most importantly... I opened the rad cap and found some sludge there consisting of tiny particles, copper color, that looks most likely like some kind of stop leak was added to the coolant. The coolant level in the overflow reservoir is kind of high (up to the neck). I ran the car with rad cap off. The coolant kind of foams. Does not really "burp". I attach picture of the rad cap covered with this "gunk" and there is short clip of coolant bubbling:

https://youtu.be/43gAqHi57mE

Question is that HG blown or not? Is it often that people would "just add stop leak" as preventative measure in Lexus (e.g. Subaru recommends to do it 馃槈 ). RX 350 are not known for blown gaskets,right ?

Blown HD would be a deal breaker, whereas I could try to leverage the leaks when negotiating the price.

20220606_153542.jpg

Edited by mitka

I'm not sure about the foaming, there could be air in the system.聽

As for the color, I believe that Toyota/Lexus coolant is red/pink.聽 There's a particular bleeding technique for the 2GR-FE engine.

This video is a great overview on the procedure.聽 And the Car Care Nut in the video is located in Chicago....He聽 just opened his own shop.

Something to definitely check on the 2GR-FE is that the oil cooler line replacement has been done.

Don't use a Dorman oil cooler line for this replacement!

Thanks. Coolant color is not a problem. I was alarmed by rather characteristic sticky sludge on the rad cap and the pipe that on closer inspection looked like consisting of tiny flakes reddish in color. It could be that this is normal "sediment" of the coolant or an added stop leak compound (cuz it very much looks like it). 聽The coolant in overflow reservoir looks clear (red but free of sediment). It is way over the full line though. I am kind of paranoid about HG having owned Subaru Outback. I will get a block tester to see if there is exhaust gases in these bubbles.聽

I would be very suspicious of this vehicle. If I were buying a vehicle for a teenager, I'd be looking for a Mazda 3, the reason being that they were both very reliable and "under the radar" of many car shoppers. Shortly after our daughter turned 16, (more than 10 years ago) I bought her a 2002 Mazda Protege for $5000. It ran perfectly for just about 10 years when she bought a new car and I sold the Mazda for $1700. It's deep green paint was getting sun-burned but other than that it was in perfect condition.