Tire Swap... 225/70-16 To 215/60-16, Good Idea?

Ok, I absolutely know nothing about tires therefore any suggestions are appreciated.

I have a new '04 XT w/ Yokohama Geolanders (215/60-16)... My wife has a 2002 Lexus RX300 (225/70-16) in need of new tires. I checked out some tire calculators and realise there's a 7.9% diff. in speedometer reading between these different size tires. So, is it wise/safe to swap the tires? Will there be fitting issues? Can the Geolanders handle the extra weight of the RX300?

It would be nice if I could give her my like-new tires and at the same time perhaps upgrade my wheels and tires to 17s... However, safety issues come first and I need to know if putting 'smaller' tires on the Lexus is a good idea or not. Her lease will be up in about a year and it would be nice if we can save on buying brand new tires for her and at the same time upgrade mine (The XT will be hers once her lease is up...). Sorry for the long post...

Whenever I have tire questions, I call the good folks at Tirerack. (www.tirerack.com) They are always more than happy to provide sizes of tires that are acceptable for the particular vehicle to which you are referring. Their website is filled with ratings and other pertinent info.