Late 2020 and on lost 4 star driver rating nhtsa. Why??!

Hello all, new here and looking at getting a 2022 before they go to 4 cylinders. I am concerned about the drop in nhtsa rating for driver to 3…..I read that Lexus changed airbags or something late in 2020 and caused the safety rating to drop… anyone here have thoughts on this? We have been avid safety pick plus people for years (IIHS still gives high rating to RX). Don’t like the window sticker showing that 3 star… pls let me know what you think? Thanks!

The folks at NHTSA raise the bar year after year. So a 4 star rating may have dropped to three simply because Toyota did raise their bar. In other words the car is not less safe. But the rule changed for stricter standards may cause the reduced rating. 

@BykfixerI appreciate your response, however, we looked at multiple cars this past year(Acura,BMW,VW,et) and the only one that changed to a downgrade that we noticed was the Lexus. Just makes us Leary.

The 2020 I drive and the 21 had 4 star ratings for driver and passenger.  It was the 2022 RX 350 that lost the 4 star rating. Being almost identically equipped, maybe it was something crazy, like an airbag screw-up that cost them a star, Andy. No clue!

Thanks for you reply… Check this out…

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1131438_nhtsa-downgrades-2021-lexus-rx-350-crash-test-rating

seems to think they were trying to get that “5” but something got messed up and dropped instead.  And you never know it could be something related to the way the test was done or an error or something. Lexus customer service was clueless, dealerships were clueless, nhtsa help line couldn’t or didn’t look at any reports to explain anything and I emailed them as well.  We may end up trusting that the vehicle is sound as has always been in the past….

Thanks, Andy!  This site at NHTSA still rated the 21 at 4 stars...

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/LEXUS/RX 350/SUV/AWD

My 13 Camry Hybrid XLE had a 5-star Driver side rating. But I'd rather be the guy in the RX in the case of a Frontal collision.

The RX is higher off the pavement and much heavier.

Thanks i can appreciate that sentiment. We are looking at trading in my wife’s 2019 BMW X5 x drive AWD under warranty for 2 more years and low mileage for a 2022 Lexus rx350. Long term we don’t want the high cost of repairs on a German vehicle but rather move to reliability and lower maintenance costs.  What are your thoughts people?