Loose Seat Belts

sgriffith

In my 99 RX300, the front driver & passenger seat belts are getting loose. There isn't much tension on them anymore from the area that pulls them back in when they are not in use (don't know the technical name for that part ;-) ) Is there some procedure that I can do to bring that tension back or am I looking at replacing those things if I want them to work like new again? Anyone out there done this before? Thanks in advance for all of the advice....

--Skip Griffith

The seat belt retracting problem is common. Surprisingly the solution is simple.

If your vehicle is still on warranty advise your dealer of Technical Service Bulletin 'BO009-01' SHOULDER BELT ANCHOR TAPE SET.

My dealer wanted $35 for essentally two small pieces of tape.

The problem is caused by accumulated dirt and lint on the shoulder belt anchor where the belt goes over your shoulder and turns a sharp angle to go down into the door post and into the retractor. I used a small knife to clean out the dirt - the kit provided by Lexus has a piece of velcro-like matereal to scour away the accummulation.

My seat belt now retracts like it's supposed to and the repair cost nothing.

Go Flames! :cheers:

As I read your post I thought to myself...surely not....it can't be this simple of a problem....well...it is. I just ran outside & did it ....they work great now! Thanks a million for the reply. I can't believe that caused that much of a problem!!!

• 8 months later...

There you have it. On my old Lexus there is a key hole at either end of the slot in the shoulder anchor point. So easy to feed a rag moistend with a multi cleaner to clear away whatever was dragging on the belt slowing its retracting.

I wonder how many good belts might have been discarded or swapted out by the money hungry service agents often talked about in L O C.

Thank you Mr Rollingstone.

I was having this problem and thought that the tensioners were bad. Atleast that's what the dealer told me. They also told me that it would be about $530+/- to fix both the driver and passenger side. Thank you so much for the advise. I can't believe how good they work now just from cleaning them.

• 4 weeks later...
The seat belt retracting problem is common.  Surprisingly the solution is simple. 

If your vehicle is still on warranty advise your dealer of Technical Service Bulletin 'BO009-01' SHOULDER BELT ANCHOR TAPE SET.

My dealer wanted $35 for essentally two small pieces of tape.

The problem is caused by accumulated dirt and lint on the shoulder belt anchor where the belt goes over your shoulder and turns a sharp angle to go down into the door post and into the retractor.  I used a small knife to clean out the dirt - the kit provided by Lexus has a piece of velcro-like matereal to scour away the accummulation.

My seat belt now retracts like it's supposed to and the repair cost nothing.

Go Flames!  :cheers:

Sorry guys - I must be the slow one here. But where is the problem? I'm sitting at work trying to think about how the seat belt is configured...is this dirty area easily accessible without removing any covers or other plastic?

I also cleaned it and now it works great. 

Look at the object that the seat belt runs up and down on.  There is an accumulation of dirt where the seat belt and object intersect.

Lexus tried to fix my 2004 by using grease and it did not work.

I have an appointment with them Monday to replace the retractable part.

I was told that this is a known problem.

Tom