2022 RX350 Cargo Capacity vs Toyota Highlander

Hey folks,

I'm a new almost-Lexus owner.  I have a deposit in on a 2022 RX350 and am picking it up next week.  I've been puzzled my something since I started researching the vehicle.  It shows the max cargo space on the 34 cubic ft.  Whereas the 2022 Highlander shows up to 84 cubic feet.  How can that be???  I understand the Highlander is a couple of inches longer, I still don't see how it could have 50 cubic feet more than the RX350.  Am I missing something???

USNews claims the Lexus RX provides 18.4 cubic feet of room behind the second-row seats and 56.3 cubic feet with the second row folded down.  

Unlike the 3-row model which keyesLexus.com shows that for the RX350L, with all rows in an upright position, it has 7.5 cubic feet of cargo room. Folding down the third row increases the SUV's cargo room to 23 cubic feet.  Congrats, Mike!  If your dealer is like mine - they put your Lexus in a special delivery showroom with lots of lights.  Then they bring you in to inspect the 350.

• Like 2

You might be missing the fact that you can put a full size Lazy Boy Lounge Chair in the RX, still in the box and it fits with the hatch closed. Saved a 100 dollar delivery charge. I have yet to try to squeeze a refrigerator back there cause the hatch probably would not close.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:16 PM, Les Lex 2018 said:

USNews claims the Lexus RX provides 18.4 cubic feet of room behind the second-row seats and 56.3 cubic feet with the second row folded down.  

Unlike the 3-row model which keyesLexus.com shows that for the RX350L, with all rows in an upright position, it has 7.5 cubic feet of cargo room. Folding down the third row increases the SUV's cargo room to 23 cubic feet.  Congrats, Mike!  If your dealer is like mine - they put your Lexus in a special delivery showroom with lots of lights.  Then they bring you in to inspect the 350.

Thanks Les Lex.  That makes sense.  I just need enough room for some luggage and supplies when we snowbird.  I obviously looked at some 350s but wanted to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.

I'm not sure what the delivery process will be, but it sounds like yours would be awesome.  They did tell me there will be a technician who will spend about and hour reviewing every feature of the vehicle.  I've never been to this dealership.  I have to fly from Cincinnati to Houston to get it.  Strange times in the auto business!

I'm guessing that Lexus decided to go with a more sleek and curvy SUV and not make it so boxy looking like, say, a Highlander. Cargo area isn't everything.

Tell me about the strange times, Mike.  When I went to trade up to a 2020 RX, they had a corral full of unsold RXs and the one I picked out had been sitting on the lot for 5 freaking months, rusting and racked up 100s of miles due to test drives.  I made em a deal they couldn't refuse, because their "not so Live Stock" was going no where fast.

Today, They have like one or two "Don't Wants" on the lot and list a bunch of "On Order/Pre-solds".  

So you had to go to Texas to get one - Smart move: The Relentless pursuit of Perfection.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Les Lex 2018 said:

I'm guessing that Lexus decided to go with a more sleek and curvy SUV and not make it so boxy looking like, say, a Highlander. Cargo area isn't everything.

Tell me about the strange times, Mike.  When I went to trade up to a 2020 RX, they had a corral full of unsold RXs and the one I picked out had been sitting on the lot for 5 freaking months, rusting and racked up 100s of miles due to test drives.  I made em a deal they couldn't refuse, because their "not so Live Stock" was going no where fast.

Today, They have like one or two "Don't Wants" on the lot and list a bunch of "On Order/Pre-solds".  

So you had to go to Texas to get one - Smart move: The Relentless pursuit of Perfection.

Absolutely, Lexus is about as good as it gets.  Style, functionality, reliability, and reasonable price (compared to its peers).  We looked at Audi, BMW, Lexus, and Toyota.  None are taking orders.  You just provide the dealer with your desired features/color and wait until something close shows up at the dealership.  It's crazy.

That's about right, Mike. June Consumer's Reports just did a survey on the "Most Reliable" of 5 year old "Brands".

Lexus was #1, Toyota #2.  BMW #15 and Audi #16.  GMC was dead last at #23.

Let us know how it goes in Houston. I may need to go down there to test drive a 23.

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 12:46 AM, Les Lex 2018 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I am also looking for the information online between the 2022 RX350 Cargo Capacity vs Toyota Highlander and I am glad I found your post where I found the difference. When I was looking for it online, I also found the topcvwritersuk website where I can read reviews for different CV writing services easily.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Edited by MonicaBrown