1999 Rx 300 Longevity

I purchased a 1999 RX 300 in May 2002 with 47,000 miles on it. Two years later I have 85K and am coming up to the 90K service ($1600 +/-). Our family is moving out of state and in our new location I will be putting less mileage on the vehicle (moving from big city to small/medium sized city).

Over the two years that I have had the car, there have been some issues with the electrical system--and last week they put in an entire new transmission ($5,000 worth--covered by the warranty).

We like the car, and it drives fine. We do have 15K left on the 100K warranty--and three years worth of payments to go.

My question is this--with the expense of replacing parts after 100K, is it a good idea to hang onto this car--or think about trading it in?

I too have a 1999 RX 300, although I just bought recently. I am curious what happened with your transmission? I have noticed a little slippage in mine, but other people tell me that it's normal with this year - an "engineering defect" they call it.

Also, you list the 90k mile checkup with a dollar figure of $1600. Is that what you expect to pay for the service? If not, how or why did you come up with that figure?

Regarding your question as to keep or not keep your car, I will say that I just purchased mine for slightly under $18k with 49k miles on it (Kelly Blue Book value). That ballpark might help you in your decision.

Thanks for the reply.

The transmission began to slip in the 30-40 mph range.

The $1600 for 90K service is the quote I received from the local dealership. Among other things, they replace the timing belt at that juncture.

I paid $27K in May, 2002 for mine.

Do u have to go to a toyota dealership without lexus beside it?

All the dealerships around me have both of them together...don't think they will let me bring a lexus into toyota when lexus is right beside it...