Spark Plugs

Best plugs to replace the factory ones are the Denso Iridium brand. Iridium has a higher melting point than platinum, nickel, etc. Denso Iridium is regarded as a high-performance spark plug, which leads to better engine start-up and idle, and improved fuel consumption. You can get the Denso Iridium plugs at your local auto parts store like Autozone and Pep Boys.

Go to http://www.sparkplugs.com for more info.

The 98 stock are the platinums. I went with the NGKs - they are stock # BKR6EKPB-11 pregapped at .044

The site that Lexus8k shows has the best prices I think. Here is another site

http://www.clubplug.net/cross.html

that I ordered from before finding the sparkplugs .com.

For the 3-wire set, I went with OEM. The cheapest I found was at http://replacement.speedyperformanceparts....nition+Wire+Set

at arounfd $48 and change, but if you order over $50, free shipping. Dealership wanted over $75

• 1 month later...

Is it OK to just go with the cheapie Densos? (i.e. non-platinum)?

Since bringing my car to the dealer and having the plugs changed (with non-platinums), my car has a rough idle. If you listen to the exhaust, it shoots out puffs of air and the car shakes a little when it does so.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Bryan

Is it OK to just go with the cheapie Densos? (i.e. non-platinum)?

Since bringing my car to the dealer and having the plugs changed (with non-platinums), my car has a rough idle. If you listen to the exhaust, it shoots out puffs of air and the car shakes a little when it does so.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Bryan

I'd stick with the stock plugs. They're good for 100 K miles - how much more do you want?

You might get marginally greater performance from another plug, but probably not enough that you'd notice.

Good luck.

Well, I still have the Japanese plugs (Densos), but I have 6 regular Densos (non-platinum) and not the combination of NGK and Denso as entioned earlier. I didn't know about the 100000 mile thing, or I would have just paid the extra money and got them put in right away. But the new plugs are already in my car, so it's kind of too late now . . .

Regards,

Bryan

I got the dealer to do a tune up on my car before I took delivery, & asked for the original plugs back (I wanted to see what kind of wear they had after 45,000 miles). I watched the tech to the work & all plugs were factory NGK Iridiums. He replaced them with Denso Iridiums that are good for 100K miles. There are no spark plug wires on my 01 ES. B)

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Mburnikas, How were you able to get to the 3 plugs that are pointed toward the firewall. That is a pretty tight area. I know you had to use a special tool to get back there. Can you tell us how you did it? I looked at this particular posting and went with the NGK Iridium plugs and the NGK wire sets. They will be her on Monday. I want to change them myself but just want to make sure I do everything right.

there's a thread in here that talks about it.

some people pull the intake...

i was able to get to them with a 6" extension and a swivel ratchet. its tight and you have to work at it a bit, but i think faster than pulling the intake.

a benefit to pulling the intake though is that you can clean it while its off.

take back the ngk wires they are crap

get the oem ones

you'll find out pretty quickly

i never hear fo the 1mz-fe having 3 and 3 different plugs ever is that for a specific year?

as it isn;t in my 94

When I am talking about the 3 plugs, I am talking about where they are. Three of the plugs are right underneath the plastic cover on top of the engine. The other 3 are tilted toward the firewall of the car. I thought NGK were great along with the Denso's. I currently have a 97 ES.

• 3 months later...

i went to that linked posted "www.sparkplugs.com" and i'm wondering why the Denso Iridiums are more expensive than the NGK Iridiums. is it because the center electrode is smaller than the NGK's? I actually bought the NGK iridiums already, but i dont' get the cost difference too much. Oh ya i have those NGK wires on my Camry and it seems to do fine, but ehh.