2006 Lexus SC430 suspension struts

Alanstar1

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2006 Lexus SC430 a couple of months ago.  It has 46,000 miles on it.  It needs new suspension struts front and rear.  I bought the ones for the front from Rock Auto, but couldn't find the rear struts anywhere until I called a Lexus dealer.  The struts for the front are made by Gabriel and were easy to obtain, but no one else makes the ones from the rear.  The price was OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!  $239.00 each from the Lexus dealer in Phoenix, AZ.  I live about 110 miles northwest of Phoenix.  I've been trying to find information on how to replace the rear struts and have come up with nothing.  The front struts are pretty straight forward, but the rear I'm not sure of.  Does anyone out there have any experience with having the rear struts replaced either by yourself or, a mechanic?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rear Spring & Shock Absorber - 2006 Lexus SC430 (lexuspartsnow.com)

By the way, KYBs should be better than the Gabriels for the front. Did you see those during your search?

I've downloaded an electronic service manual in the past. You might consider that or a used factory service manual if you can find it.

I've used Gabriel shocks for a long time and they've always performed well.  Thanks for the tip on the electronic service manual and a used factory service manual.  I'll look and see what I can find.

How do you diagnose need for strut replacement? What is effect of replacement on this vehicle? Did Lexus originally install faulty struts on sc430s?  All years have excessively stiff ride...

I bought this car at an auction so I could not drive it before purchasing.  On the drive home while on the highway the ride was a little stiff but not that bad.  When driving on a just slightly bumpy road there it a thumping noise which appears to be on the bottom of the car.  As I understand this, after doing some research, the most likely cause of this is the struts/shocks needing replacement because they are bottoming out.  While there could be other possibilities, I'm going with the most likely source of the problem.  The struts/shocks are the factory originals.  Also, the car came from Chicago and I've noted a fair amount of rust on the chassis components due to the salt they use on the roads whenever it snows and ice accumulation occurs.  Thanks for your interest.  If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

• 4 months later...

OK, I've just finished the front and rear strut replacement along with the sway bar links front and rear.  The links were also worn out.  Just took the car for a test drive and no more thumping from bottom of car!  This whole thing was really a job for me.  It would have been easier if I could have found the entire strut assembly, springs included, but I'm sure it would have been much more expensive.  By the way, those Gabriel front struts work just fine.  Thanks to all who replied to my efforts.