A/C stops blowing cold air after sitting in the sun

DS1024

I have a 2010 ES350 with just under 100,000 miles. My A/C stopped blowing cold air a few months ago, but because it was winter, I decided to wait to address it. Recently I noticed that if I use my wife's car and let my car sit for a few days, the A/C would blow cold again. This continued until I parked the car outside and it sat in the sun for a couple hours. After that, the A/C only blew hot air. So, I again switched to my wife's car for a few days. When I went back to my car, I had cold air again. And it lasted for a few days until I once again parked in an uncovered lot for a few hours.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

I went to my local mechanic, and they are telling me that the compressor is bad. So, they are suggesting I replace the compressor, compressor relay and condenser. Is it normal to have to replace both the compressor and condenser? I was hoping I could get away with just replacing the compressor.

Thank you for your help.

According to this description of an AC Compressor replacement, the service includes a compressor, receiver dryer, and orifice tube for reasons they explain. However, the article does not mention the year of ES350.

Lexus ES350 Car AC Compressor Replacement Costs (yourmechanic.com)

• 1 year later...