Thinking Of Buying A Gs400...any Thoughts?

I am thinking of buying a GS400, I want to spend around 23k. All of the used ones on autotrader.com have 50k+ miles. What is the most miles you would buy this car at? If it does not have extended warranty can I still buy one thru Lexus. I can't decide between blue or black. There are a couple w/ nav, is the nav good on the 98-99 gs400? can you hook a dvd up to it? What is the difference between 400 and 430?

I would appreciate any feedback from you guys!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

oh, and most importantly, what are the known problems with these cars once they hit 50k+ miles?

What kind of aftermarket potential do they have?

Had my GS400 for little over 8 mo. now and not a single problem on it since. So really I can't tell you much on problems it might have. But one known problem I've been hearing alot on 98+ GS is headlight condensation? I Bought my GS with 50k from a private owner with service records to show. As with buying any used cars you just have to look carefully. I've test driven a brand new 03' GS430 and could not tell much of a difference in terms of power and feel. I thought the Mark Levinson system was nice on the 430.

I'm not 100% sure but I think 98-00 GS's have a hardrive based navi system and 01' + GS's have a DVD Navi system. One thing I dislike about Lexus navi system is that the vehicle has to be completely still in order to operate. But heard there is an overide for the dvd base version. I would not recommend the navi system for the 98-00. But if you're not good with directions then it's not a bad option to have especially if you can find one with a good deal :) .

Good luck!!!!

Kevin

the GS's are great cars. there are not many problems that actually show up one those cars. the most that needs replacing is a randomly appearing headlight condensation, but as long as the car is under warranty, you can just take it to the dealer and get them to change the pair out for a new pair.

i wish i could get a GS, but what can ya do when you're only in high school. :)

kevin

One nice feature that the GS400 has that was deleted in the 430 is E-shift. Lexus cut it out of the redesigned '01 models to make the vehicles ULEV-compliant. Incidentally, in 2001 it found its way into the IS300 and GS300. It's not the same as a manual by any means, I've driven several IS300's with the feature, but it can be fun for backroads use. The computer locks you out of any shift it doesn't like, and you can only specify a range of gears, rather than a particular gear.

It's a tough choice between Black Onyx and Spectra Blue Metallic, for sure. I also like the Alpine Silver used on the earlier GS4's, its a purer silver than the newer Millenium Silver (I believe Alpine Silver is only on the 98-99).

Edit: Not sure if this is important to you, but I believe you can't have both navigation and the Nakimichi upgrade together. Cars were equipped with one or the other, from what I've read.

I am thinking of buying a GS400, I want to spend around 23k. All of the used ones on autotrader.com have 50k+ miles. What is the most miles you would buy this car at? If it does not have extended warranty can I still buy one thru Lexus. I can't decide between blue or black. There are a couple w/ nav, is the nav good on the 98-99 gs400? can you hook a dvd up to it? What is the difference between 400 and 430?

oh, and most importantly, what are the known problems with these cars once they hit 50k+ miles?

If you do find one you like, you can take the VIN number to a local dealer. There they will run the number to tell you if the vehicle has been receiving normal services. It does not matter what dealer the other owner took the car to all of them are connected. Good Luck hope you find a great car. Well what am saying, it's goona be a GS so it is a great car. :D :D :D lol

gs400man, I've had my 1999 GS 400 since August of last year and I've had two problems: headlight condensation and the throttle assembly had to be replaced. It's a great car, but just be sure to have a warranty on it and you'll have piece of mind and power beyond belief!

Any car you take care of will be fine...take good care in selecting a used car. I have the GS300 ( I fell in love with the in line 6 ) it has been in production for years and years in Japan. I have had both cars a 99 and 2000 300/400. What can I say other than check it out! take it to a shop, or other dealer to check it over....ask questions and remember to keep in mind what you want out of the car. If you are looking for tons of performance upgrades/ the in line 6's are bullet proof makes and a tad bit simpler to modify.....the 8's are great power plants and both built very well...Oh what a feeling ( Toyota ) the Aristo known to our Japanese buddies. Good Luck! :lol:

Also I will finish what the others did not answer, I am also about to purchase a Gs300/ 400 with nav.. but for the warranty I think the dealer will sell it to you only if the car was purchased at a lexus dealership otherwise you can go online and get an extended warranty much less cheaper than going through the dealer, and in most cases the extended warranties if there is any problem that is covered you can take it to the lexus dealer for service...

For the dvd hookup to the nav. there is a site called nav-tv.com they sell a converter which will allow you to watch dvd from the screen.. but one thing they will not sell that part to individuals, only to nav-tv retailers, so you will have to ask them for the nearest nav-tv dealer in your city.

As long as the service has been kept up on the GS 50k is nothing. If you find one that you like, take the VIN number to a Lexus dealer and ask the service guys to look up th VIN as long as you tell them you may buy the car and that you want to know the service history for it, they should not have a problem. Good Luck :cheers: