If you tell me that these questions have been asked and answered, would you mind providing a link? Really want to put a trailer hitch (to hold bike rack) on about-to-be-purchased 2022 RX 450h (not F-sport). Dealer says I can’t do this if car has kick sensor, and that this would interfere with rear bumper sensors. Ok, it may obstruct bumper sensors while rack is on car. Aside from that, any reason I can’t install a trailer hitch? To complicate things, Lexus has a towing package available, and they apparently offer a hitch that accepts a “trailer ball” (probably not the right term). Also wondering if installing some thing like a Curt hitch will void the warranty, or void a lease agreement. Would hate to have to buy a different car, but I need to carry two e-bikes, which are too heavy to put on the roof. Thanks for your help.

The Honda Ridgeline RTL has cross track and will hold a lot of e-bikes and Solar Generators and camping equipment.

My dealer has NO RX 350s to sell so he would probably give me a hug for canceling my order if I had one.

I would not be w/o Cross-Trac and Blind Spot Mirror for any reason.  In 4-years, CT and BSM have saved me from a few fender benders.

You still have the trailer hitch / trailer option but even that option has its many problems. You lose full use of the Backup cam and Cross-Trac.

Safety vs Fun...

You are using the correct terminology - at least the same as used on the Lexus website.

The optional towing preparation package includes engine and transmission oil coolers and a "heavy duty" radiator and cooling fan.  It used to include additional wiring in the back for attaching trailer light wiring but it's not listed as one of the features.  None of the engine compartment components are needed for installing a receiver hitch for carrying a bike rack or for towing light trailers such as a small utility trailer. 

I've long been perturbed that the towing prep package isn't standard on the RX since it is inexpensive and was made standard on its Toyota brand siblings in 2014. 

Toyota offers kits on some models to relocate the kick sensor when installing a receiver hitch.  Even when a relocation kit is not available it has been found that it sometimes possible to relocate the kick sensor to make it work after installing a receiver hitch. 

Installing a receiver hitch will not void the warranty.  The impact on a lease is a different matter since installing a hitch sometimes requires cutting plastic body panels. 

If you are going to use a receiver hitch only to carry a bike rack, then you wouldn't need to install trailer light wiring or buy a draw bar or ball.  For example, I installed a Curt receiver hitch on my wife's Prius v wagon only for carrying a 2-bike rack but I didn't install or buy anything else. 

Oddly, I don't see a receiver hitch for the 2022 RX450h listed on the Curt website:  https://www.curtmfg.com/

I wonder what's up with that.  The last three receiver hitches I've bought have been the Curt brand and they've all cost a fraction of the price of an OEM hitch.  You should still be able to buy a Lexus brand receiver hitch but you might lose the functionality of the kick sensor if it can't be relocated to work properly.

Thanks for the informative reply. UHaul’s website says they can install a trailer hitch on a 2022 RX 450h; wondering if I should just go with that. 

46 minutes ago, Howard18 said:

Thanks for the informative reply. UHaul’s website says they can install a trailer hitch on a 2022 RX 450h; wondering if I should just go with that. 

I looked at the Uhaul hitch on their website.  It actually doesn't look bad which is saying something since some of the most butt-ugly hitches I've seen have been from Uhaul.

The installation instructions say that trimming an "appearance panel" in two places is necessary.  Are you OK with that?

I've occasionally used Uhaul services and have found that the skill levels of their employees are EXTREMELY variable and I do mean E-X-T-R-E-M-E-L-Y !!!  If you go with Uhaul, I suggest that you carefully interview the person who is going to do the installation to see if he is at least conscious.  

Installation looks very easy and similar to my installation of a Curt hitch on our Toyota Sienna which is a close cousin of the Lexus RX and shares many components.

If you are handy and have the appropriate tools including a torque wrench, you could do it yourself.  Installing a hitch on your RX looks easier than on our Sienna which took only about an hour including the time it took to trim the underbody plastic panel.  It would likely require elevating the rear of the RX such as with jack stands.

Hmm, I’ll have to see what they mean by trimming an appearance panel. Thanks for pointing that out.

I prefer conscientious to just Koncius, but might have to settle for the latter.

I’d prefer a conscientious to just conscious, but might have to settle for the latter.

Talked to Curt customer service and they were extremely unhelpful. Just said they didn’t have anything available, and had no additional information.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Lexusrbest said:

I looked into this and was told the vehicle has to be towbar prepared at the factory ! 
apparently the electric motor or rear diff is not suitable for towing

The RX450h is suitable for towing although to exploit its towing capabilities it should have the factory installed tow prep package that I mentioned in my first post in this thread.   The components of the tow prep package have nothing to do with the hybrid traction motor or a "rear diff". 

My need for a trailer hitch is solely for a hitch-type bicycle rack. I’m amazed that Lexus does not have a factory 2 inch trailer hitch, but U-Haul says they can do it no problem. (Lexus does have a factory available trailer hitch, but it’s for a ball type mount). 

16 hours ago, Howard18 said:

My need for a trailer hitch is solely for a hitch-type bicycle rack. I’m amazed that Lexus does not have a factory 2 inch trailer hitch, but U-Haul says they can do it no problem. (Lexus does have a factory available trailer hitch, but it’s for a ball type mount). 

The Lexus, U-Haul and other brand hitches for the RX are all of the "receiver" type.  The "ball mount" you are referring to is bolted to a drawbar which inserts into the receiver.   Bike racks for receiver hitches similarly plug into hitch receivers.   Lighter capacity receiver type hitches come in two formats - 1 1/4 inch and 2-inch.  A 2-inch receiver hitch is vastly preferable over the 1 1/4 inch receiver hitch if it's going to be used for accessories such as a bike rack or cargo tray.

The Lexus website says that the receiver hitch Lexus sells for the 2022 RX450h is a 2-inch receiver hitch:  https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2022_RX-450h/Tow-Hitch-Receiver/69522951/PT22848160.html

Don't even think about getting a 1 1/4 inch receiver hitch if you are going to carry two e-bikes.  E-bikes can be quite heavy.  There's no way I would put even one e-bike on the Pro-Series 2-bike rack that plugs into the 1 1/4 inch Curt receiver hitch that I installed on my wife's Prius v - it would be too unstable.  I would, however, be comfortable with carrying one or two e-bikes on the far more robust Pro-Series 4-bike rack that plugs into the 2-inch receiver on our Sienna.

Maybe a bike shop that sells e-bikes can help you identify a bike rack that works particularly well for carrying two e-bikes.

LOL, my wife is after me to help her find an e-bike that fits her.  We've bought so many bikes for her and none have worked to her satisfaction including her current quite expensive Trek "hybrid" (mountain bike type frame with road bike type wheels).  It's difficult to find a bike that's easy to mount and dismount for a 4' 11" tall woman with limited mobility.  Finding an e-bike that small sounds like finding a unicorn.

If you want to see what a drawbar with a ball mount looks like, here is a photo of the "kit" I bought that includes the draw bar that plugs into a 2-inch receiver.   This particular kit includes easily interchangeable balls of the most common sizes.

Not that it's useful, here's another photo showing our Pro-Series 2-bike rack that plugs into a 1 1/4 inch receiver and our Pro-Series 4-bike rack that plugs into a 2 inch receiver.  I suspect that a platform type bike rack would work better for e-bikes.

Sienna drawbar kit.jpg

Pro Series bike racks.jpg

I have been researching this and spoke to Curt customer service to see if their model 13282 which they specify for the 2020 RX450H would fit the 2022 and they transferred me to their installation technician and his reply was that they had not tried it on a 2022 yet

42 minutes ago, Fernanduzzo said:

I have been researching this and spoke to Curt customer service to see if their model 13282 which they specify for the 2020 RX450H would fit the 2022 and they transferred me to their installation technician and his reply was that they had not tried it on a 2022 yet

That is odd.

But the part number that Lexus sells for the 2020, 2021 and 2022 RX450h is the same which would seem to indicate that a Curt hitch for a 2020 would likely fit a 2021 and 2022:

2020:  https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2020_RX-450h/Tow-Hitch-Receiver/69522951/PT22848160.html

2021:  https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2021_RX-450h/Tow-Hitch-Receiver/69522951/PT22848160.html

2022:  https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2022_RX-450h/Tow-Hitch-Receiver/69522951/PT22848160.html

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2022 at 2:06 PM, 1990LS400 said:

That is odd.

But the part number that Lexus sells for the 2020, 2021 and 2022 RX450h is the same which would seem to indicate that a Curt hitch for a 2020 would likely fit a 2021 and 2022:

2020:  https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2020_RX-450h/Tow-Hitch-Receiver/69522951/PT22848160.html

2021:  https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2021_RX-450h/Tow-Hitch-Receiver/69522951/PT22848160.html

2022:  https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2022_RX-450h/Tow-Hitch-Receiver/69522951/PT22848160.html

I've been researching the tow hitch for my 2022 lexus rx 450h fsport. The big difference from what I found is that the factory lexus tow hitch is vastly different from a curt, uhaul or etrailer type hitch. The Lexus hitch requires the Removal of the back bumper to install. It also requires to remove the factory installed crash bar in the back and the hitch then becomes the crash bar behind the bumper so it's definitely a lot beefer than a standard tow hitch. I'm also looking for a hitch to have a bike rack or a small cargo carrier for the occasional mulch pick up. I was hoping to get a curt brand trailer hitch but they don't seem to specify its for the 2022. If anyone has tried one and it works please post part number.

UHaul installed a 2” hitch on my 2022 RX 450h. It looks great — very unobtrusive — and works great with my Thule bike rack. When I first put the car in reverse with the bike rack in place, it said BRAKE! and applied the brake. When I turn PKSA off, the rear sensors don’t light up on the display but the brake is still applied. When I turn PKSB off, the rear sensors light up on the display but at least I can reverse without the brake slamming on 

I have just installed a Curt 13282, what I needed to install it without having to cut the bottom of the bumper cover is 1/2 spacer plates to drop the hitch, what I used was 1/4” flat aluminum plate that I had laying around at home and made 4 spacers that match the plates that bolts onto the frame and used 6 12mm x 1.25 x50 mm grade 10.9 bolts that I ordered on line the reason for the longer bolts is  because of the spacers but as I said I did not need to touch the bumper as some on line videos suggest and it fits perfectly

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  I just purchased a 2022 RX 450 hL (hybrid long). I wish to install a 2” bike hitch receiver but unable to confirm what hitch brand and model. Dealer says no hitch available and it would cause the rear gate “foot to open” rear hatch. It would appear others have similar issue.  Sounds like you all are knowledgeable of and can recommend. Look forward to your suggestions. 

Just tell UHaul the car model and they’ll do the test. 2” hitch for my 2022 RX 45Oh is great. I do not have the rear kick sensor — Hitch installation may inactivate it. 

What I did was, go on the Curt website and found the model they sell for a 2020 RX 450h, the mounting location is the same from 2016 up doing some searches on installation videos, everyone talks about trimming the bottom of the bumper I took some measurements and determined the size of spacers I would need (see my post) and it fit perfectly 

I don’t have kick sensors so it wasn’t an issue, but I read somewhere that people with kick sensors had no issues and other relocated the sensor, to one side.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:30 PM, Fernanduzzo said:

What I did was, go on the Curt website and found the model they sell for a 2020 RX 450h, the mounting location is the same from 2016 up doing some searches on installation videos, everyone talks about trimming the bottom of the bumper I took some measurements and determined the size of spacers I would need (see my post) and it fit perfectly 

I don’t have kick sensors so it wasn’t an issue, but I read somewhere that people with kick sensors had no issues and other relocated the sensor, to one side.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:26 PM, Howard18 said:

Just tell UHaul the car model and they’ll do the test. 2” hitch for my 2022 RX 45Oh is great. I do not have the rear kick sensor — Hitch installation may inactivate it. 

Thanks for the info. I actually have contacted UHaul already. Their response said they could build but they currently do not have a design for. They also wanted my vehicle to be delivered to Nevada for 4-5 day installation. I am on the East coast so this UHaul option not very promising.   Hence, why I am still investigating and interested in this sites experience. 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:30 PM, Fernanduzzo said:

Thanks for the information. My Lexus model is the long 3 row version (RX 450 hL). Do you know if the bolt pattern is still a match up to the hitch fitting RX 450 h from Curt you described?  Also I prefer no cutting of the bumper so I would use the spacers you described. 

The Curt hitch I installed fit perfictly with 2  spacers 1/2” thick or you can trim the bumper as others have suggested in some you tube videos but with the spacers there is no trimming required not sure if the bolt pattern is the same for the long version just check the Curt website for the 2020 model for the 450HL