New Brakes on 2007 LS460

Just bought this amazing car from previous owner. As part of the deal the owner put on new front and rear pads, and new front rotors. When I apply the brakes it feels like there is a low speed pulsation. Some say this is normal for the L46 series?  I reached out to a local mechanic who thought I needed all new pads and rotors in excess of $700 to fit the front.  I wonder if it is just the brake pads seating to the rotors and the sensation will go away in time. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Low speed pulsations typically indicate brake rotor surface excessive out-of-flatness condition or uneven brake pad deposits on the rotor.

My guess is that the previous owner did not have the rotors "turned" (machined on a brake lathe). There is a chance that the rotors are too thin to be machined. The only way to know is to measure their thickness and compare to the "minimum thickness" that should be stamped or etched into the rotor.
Any competent mechanic can do with without excessive cost. 

I had a pickup one time that did that. In that case it was from the lug nuts not tightened at even tension(s). 

Often they should be re-torqued after a brief period. Or at least checked. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rotor vibrations, when brakes are applied, are often caused by the lug nuts being over-torqued when the tires are

installed using an impact wrench.  This warps the rotors.  You can try loosening the lugs and manually retorque them

to the manufacturer's recommendation, probably around 90 lbs.  Sometimes the damage is done and the rotors must be turned

at a machine shop to smooth them out before reinstalling them.  Very seldom do the brake rotors get too thin unless the

brakes pads are totally shot and the brakes are putting  metal to metal on the rotor.  This is, of course, very noticeable to the ear, and

the rotors would be destroyed as a result.