Rear Strut replacement - 2006 RX330 AWD

I am replacing the rear struts on my RX330 AWD.  It seemed like a straightforward project and the left rear strut went in with no problems.   I then remove the right rear strut without any issues, but when I tried to install the new one the lower strut mount did not align with the rear axle assembly mount (see pictures).  The old strut came out without any force, not sure why the new one is not lining up with the rear axle mount.  I laid out the old and new struts side by side and the mounts/location seem to be close to the same. 

I tried using force (no luck yet), but is there something that I can loosen or adjust to line this up? 

Patrick Geraghty

2006 Lexus RX330

Strut 1.jpg

Strut 2.jpg

Edited by pgeraghty

Appears your upper strut mount is not right.  Are the struts on right side of car.?  I seem to remember that AWD and FWD have different strut numbers.  

I replaced the strut in the driver side rear - fit in fine.  When I tried to install the rear passenger side is when I ran it the mount alignment issue.  The strut is supposed my AWD Lexus.  I also tried to reinstall the old one and it doesn't want to align either.

I'm going to loosen/unbolt the front tie rod to see if that will allow me to rotate the axle assembly a bit - will get a rear alignment after this is done!

Patrick