Cross Drilled/slotted Rotors

wandawoods

the rotors on my newly acquired 97 LS4 are approaching mininum thickness, I will want to change them soon, maybe in another 6000~7000 miles.

any comment about cross drilled/slotted rotors? are they really better than traditional rotors?

5e_1_b.JPG

wanda there is a recent thread with links to the LS rotors, i emailed the guy about the info on the gen II LS but i didnt get a reply yet. i'm on the market for new rotors as well. so if you find any info pls let me know. i would prefere drilled/slotted rotors as well.

five times better. I have a complete set and they truely stop on a dime.

are u using 'Supra TT Brake Upgrade' kit which uses a lot bigger (2" larger dia.) rotor than the stock size?

standard stock size:

DSC05944.JPG

Supra TT brake rotor:

DSC05957.JPG

I also have 5-spoke rims, the grilled/slotted rotor will look real nice on the open-style rim like mine!

99ls, your front rotors are the same size as those supra rotors and 95 up all LS has dual piston front calipers, so you dont really have to increase the diameter of your rotors. all you need is some slotted/drilled upgrade. that kit UCF3 showed is for gen I only and will not fit 95 and up models

99ls, your front rotors are the same size as those supra rotors and 95 up all LS has dual piston front calipers, so you dont really have to increase the diameter of your rotors. all you need is some slotted/drilled upgrade. that kit UCF3 showed is for gen I only and will not fit 95 and up models

OK - good news!!

thanks VMF!!!

tansupplyman,i checked manuals and 95 and up has a 13 inch front brake rotor which is BIGGER then the supra rotor which is only 12 inches in diameter. cailipers are bigger as well and they have 2 pistons.

Quote from VMF:

' 99ls, your front rotors are the same size as those supra rotors and 95 up all LS has dual piston front calipers, so you dont really have to increase the diameter of your rotors. all you need is some slotted/drilled upgrade. that kit UCF3 showed is for gen I only and will not fit 95 and up models'

I checked the Wilwood site and thought that 91 LS400 did not get a mention????

VH

91 LS400

i checcked the site and i dont c any lexus model except late Is models. anyway, i'm going either for stock or for brembo rotors. i dont really trust anything else and i HATE when my brakes squeak

Sorry It took me such a long time to respond to your questions.

The Kit that I have is a CrossDrilled/Slotted Wilwood set for the fronts and a crossdrilled for the rear. They are both manufactured using Wilwood parts, and are a 13" rotor setup. I had this company experiment and make me a complete kit including the master cylinder. Very Expensive-$2500 kit. Mine is for Gen 1, but it's possible they can make you one as well, or something that meets your needs.

Wilwoods Website:

http://wilwood.com/TJM/index.asp

The company I used to make me the kit is:

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/

They make Brake Kits and they have a huge selection for OEM Style and Racing style Brake Kits.

UCF3,

it seems that u are into racing stuffs. please comment on the following auction description from an eBay seller who sell only cross drilled, but not slotted Brembo:

QUOTE:

Why Cross Drilled ONLY ?

Consider this - Porsche had been using cross drilled rotors on their 911 turbo since the late 70’s and they are still using them on their latest models. Mercedes Benz also putting cross drilled rotors on the newer S Class.

WHY ?

Maybe these 2 top auto manufactures doesn’t know much about performance (don’t they know slotted rotors are very hot in the market now) or will it be because under years of experiences and development, they still noticed that CROSS DRILLED ONLY is more suitable for everyday high performance sports cars and everyday driving.

TRUTH :

The slots on the slotted rotors acts like razor blade, it “sliced “ the brake pads everytime you step on the pads (thus, brake pads won’t last long) . They are only good for road course racing where brakes had been overheat and form a glazed on the pads, it will give a “ new “ surface everytime, that’s why, thye rae only good for racing only. As for gas disipation, don’t you think the gas will disipate faster through the drilled holes to the vents (for vented rotors which most car are using) than the little slots between between the rotors and the pads. Think….common sense.

i checcked the site and i dont c any lexus model except late Is models. anyway, i'm going either for stock or for brembo rotors. i dont really trust anything else and i HATE when my brakes squeak

VFM,

there are lots of eBay sellers selling cross drilled/slotted Brembo at OEM stock size for GenI or Gen II. no modification required, and they work with existing pads and calipers.

I'm about to buy a set of 4, and will let u know how good or bad they are, performance and fitting wise.

I won't be 'brave' enough to try it myself, but for those of u interested in DIY project of Supra TT brake upgrade:

http://www.lextreme.com/lsbrake.html

Supra Turbo Front Brake Conversion Kit for Lexus LS400:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2478987753

but supra rotors are smaller then ourz! mine is 13 inch while supras is only 12 inch! why go small if you have nice big rotors already:)

i talked to lextreme and i also talked and checked brake system on my friend supra and LS brake system is at least the same and may be even superior to supra brake system

http://www.buybrakes.com/brembo/am-lexus.html

according to the page above, the stock size of Brembo front rotors for LS400:

89-90: 275mm (10.83")

91-92: 274.955mm (10.83")

93-09/94: 296mm (11.65")

09/94-2000: 315mm (12.4")

rear rotors:

89-92: ???

93-2000: 306.8mm (12.08")

some state that slotted rotors cause excessive pad wear! any truth to that?

Wandawoods raised the question about slotted rotors causing excessive pad wear.

I do not have slotted rotors on either of my Lexus autos (94 ES 300 & 93 LS 400); however, I did install them on my 96 Toyota 4-Runner in June, 2001, after experiencing brake fade while driving in the Rockies.

Since that time I have put about 37,000 miles on the pads that I installed at the time I put the new rotors on. They still have quite a bit of life left.

Based on this, I would disagree that slotted rotors cause excessive pad wear.

UCF3,

it seems that u are into racing stuffs. please comment on the following auction description from an eBay seller who sell only cross drilled, but not slotted Brembo:

QUOTE:

Why Cross Drilled ONLY ?

Consider this - Porsche had been using cross drilled rotors on their 911 turbo since the late 70’s and they are still using them on their latest models. Mercedes Benz also putting cross drilled rotors on the newer S Class.

WHY ?

Maybe these 2 top auto manufactures doesn’t know much about performance (don’t they know slotted rotors are very hot in the market now) or will it be because under years of experiences and development, they still noticed that CROSS DRILLED ONLY is more suitable for everyday high performance sports cars and everyday driving.

TRUTH :

The slots on the slotted rotors acts like razor blade, it “sliced “ the brake pads everytime you step on the pads (thus, brake pads won’t last long) . They are only good for road course racing where brakes had been overheat and form a glazed on the pads, it will give a “ new “ surface everytime, that’s why, thye rae only good for racing only. As for gas disipation, don’t you think the gas will disipate faster through the drilled holes to the vents (for vented rotors which most car are using) than the little slots between between the rotors and the pads. Think….common sense.

I'll agree with the Ebay seller. Both Porsche and MB have cross-drilled because the manufacturer believes, the average US Driver will never reach the maximum potential of the rotors under street conditions and they are correct.

In my opinion, the combination is better because I want my rotors to last longer than 7 years, and proper ventillation will help me with that. I don't really care how many pads I go through, but they are correct, slotted will reduce the life of the pads. So far I've replaced my pads twice since late 02. When I had my stock setup, the pads lasted me at least two years, but I had to shave the rotors.

The combination is very popular amongst many tuners because they track their cars every weekend. I have the combination on my fronts and just cross drilled on my rears because DC traffic :censored: .

hope this answers your question.