Key Dilemna...pls Help Newbie

Hi everyone, I am new to this board, so please don't bash this post :) There might already be some info out here about this topic, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Here is the scenario I am in:

I have an opportunity to get a 1999 GS300 for a very good price from a repo. The only issue is that there is no key for the car. after talking to the dealer, they told me it's going to cost around $3000 for a new key system. I am having a hard time going this route and shelling out the money as I don't even know if the car witll run, how many miles are on it, etc... Is there anything I can do here to get into this car, recoding a new key or something, or am I stuck shelling out $3000 for a new key system just to take a chance on a 99 GS300?? thanks in advance for your help!

foosdaddy

I got a new key from swell lexus (lexus-parts.com) for only $50 for my 91 ls400. The key works perfectly, all you need to do is provide them with your vin. They will probably require some type of proof of ownership of the vehicle.

UH BEAVIS, 1991 is totally different setup than a 1999!! You will have to ship the ECU out and have it reprogrammed! They charge about $100 on ebay! Also you eill have to buy a new key or keys to send with it to be programmed! Good luck!!!

Yes, look around. You can find places on the net that will reprogram the ECU after you get the keys cut to fit the car. These "wonder shops" will probably be able to make the keys from your VIN as well. If they can't make the keys, you can still have them made at the Lexus dealer or get them at www.lexus-parts.com/

The valet is $50.00 and the remote master is $165.00 plus $17.74 for shipping outside of TX, which I believe is a total ripoff IMHO.

Here's a couple of leads (not personally endorsed)

http://www.transponderinnovations.com/icu-toyota-lexus.htm

Interesting link on this board:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=ST&f=5&t=2773&

Wouldn't that be nice (link above)? Look around, it can be done!