AC not working, mechanic says I need a full AC unit replacement which is about $2000

Hello everyone my name is Mario and I have a  2003 GS 300. I am in California and I just purchased the car last week BUT the AC doesn't work, it DOES NOT blow cold air and so I took it to the mechanic and he said  that 50% chance i need FULL AC UNIT REPLACEMENT ($2000 parts + labour) OR 50% CHANCE I need a brand new AC compressor ($800 parts+labor). I feel like this guy is trying to get money out of me and have a feeling this can be fixed with less money and without changing the entire AC unit.  My buddy who used to be a mechanic told me that this AC compressor can be jumpstarted or revived. he mentioned that its possible to hook on some cables to the compressor and JUMPSTART IT.   I don't know what to do at this point and it seems like every mechanic or AC repair person I go to simply wants to run up the bill on me. could someone please help me figure out a way to JUMPSTART this AC compressor ? really what I want is to have a normally functioning AC unit without spending more than $400-500 dollars to fix it ...can someone guide me towards fixing my AC unit please?

the AC is blowing warm air but its not that warm and when i turn down the temperature ALL THE WAY TO the coldest setting , the air even feels neutral (not hot nor cold)

please help

Edited by mario2711
spelling , content