Brake Warning Light

lovlex

I've messed with my brakes so often, due to squeals and such, that one of the sensors broke. And that warning light came on. One of our Club smarties told me I could simply tie the exposed wires together, and the light would go out. Subsequently, I have done this with all the sensors.

It would seem that, since I've owned how-many cars without brake sensors over the years, and have never worn pads down to the "nub", that it's not as critical as we are making it out to be. Plus, with all my brake noise issues, I have extra pads and rotors ready. For sure, most people who belong to this Club can sense when pads are wearing down long before they reach metal to metal.

i replaced brakes in the 93 ls 400 becuse the brake warning light came on. now that i have done that, the light is still on. how do you get this light to go out?????????

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure it is not the Brake Light bulb, (stop lights), that is out and not the Brake pad warning light ? I had the brake light (bulb) indicator come on on my 1993 LS400 and it was only the stop light bulb that was bad.

• 1 month later...
I did see there is wire near left and right rear brake but I did not see any near front brake. My car is 1992 LS400. Wire is about 1/4" diameter. Is it the sensor wire? I am afraid this is related to anti lock system. Any one can tell me about it?

Thought I'd clarify. Picture is worth a thousand words - however in lieu of one, here are a thousand words!

The brake pad = 10mm thick braking material on a metal base about 3 mm thick.

One end of the metal base has a rectangular slot into which the wear sensor slips in and is locked in place by a spring clip.

The top face of the wear sensor is 2mm above the metal base. So, once your pad lining wears by 8 mm, the pad surface and the wear sensor top face are on the same level, both touching the rotor. As the rotor continues to grind away, now both, eventually the wear sensor "opens" electrically and the dash light () comes on. This is different from the "BRAKE" light which is driven by brake fluid level.

Keep track of your mileage after new brake pads - typically 6K miles wears out 1mm of pad. So after 36K miles or so, you should think of changing the brake pad. Again, not all wheels wear out evenly. This is just a guide line. If you replace the pads at 4mm to 3mm remaining, you will never have to replace the wear sensor as it would never touch the rotor and get shaved off.

I did see there is wire near left and right rear brake but I did not see any near front brake. My car is 1992 LS400. Wire is about 1/4" diameter. Is it the sensor wire? I am afraid this is related to anti lock system. Any one can tell me about it?

Once the wear sensor has been shaved by the rotor, its too late. The sensor itself costs $40 at the dealer + about $30 labor to install it.

Depending on the model, not every wheel has this sensor. On a 96 Lexus, I have seen it on passenger rear but not on the driver side rear. Haven't looked at the front axle yet.

You can install new brake pads and not replace the wear sensor and ignore the () light. You can't get rid of the light without changing the sensor.

What I don't know is whether you can just strip the wires going to the wear sensor and twist them short to defeat the () light.

So was the dealer for real when they said that the sensors need to be replaced each time the pads wear out?

I think they only need to be replaced if broken or like mbpgawest says, when contact is made and the light comes on. I am pretty sure that there will be ample warning (squealing) before the sensor will make contact and the warning light will come on.

I have a broken sensor that I think resulted from the wrong pads being used. The sensor contact seemed like it was heat damaged and crumbled when changing the pads.

My 97 has two sensors not four -- one on the front right and one on the rear right. The other sensor disconnected and reconnected easily during the pad change.

I don't think they are supposed to be replaced each time you change pads unless you waited too long.

• 1 month later...

What I don't know is whether you can just strip the wires going to the wear sensor and twist them short to defeat the () light.

Yep, I have done that, and several others done same. Makes it like a regular car, needs periodic checking of the pad wear.

• 6 months later...
i replaced brakes in the 93 ls 400 becuse the brake warning light came on. now that i have done that, the light is still on. how do you get this light to go out?????????

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

A follow up to this posting that will help future searchers.

My '98 LS400 has sensors on passenger front and rear rotors. Other years may have them on all 4 wheels.

If you let the pads wear to a point where they wear through the sensor, you can do one of two things. (1) Replace it at $60-$80 per sensor or (2) clip the wire, twist them together or solder them and tape the ends.

Once you close the circuit, the light will immediately do off. No need to reset the ECU or anything.

If the light doesn't go off, check the other axle. I beat my head on a wall for a week trying to get the damn light to go off before it finally dawned on my that (by chance) both my front and rear pads wore out almost simultaneously.

The second I clipped and tied the rear wires, the light went out immediately. I then went on to do a rear break job.

Check behind each wheel the wire going close to the pads.

If any wire has a break in it the warning light will stay on.

At the end of each wire is little block [ best I can describe it] if you run your pads to the death this block wears away breaking the circuit and turning the warning light on.

You will have to replace it or as I did on my rear pads rejoined the break

until I have time to fix it.

I believe this is a 'kludge fix' in the USA!!!

CHEERS. ;)