Considering A Purchase

chazglenn3

• 1 year later...

I have a 1998 Lexus LS400 with 191000 miles. I am just doing the 190,000 mile maintenance on it...new timing belt,water pump,brake pads, brake rotors,tires,and four wheel alignment..new battery,and change of differential, automatic transmission, Brake and P/S fluids and antifreeze. The brake fluid was only slightly discolored (pale yellow)but no leaks found anywhere. I also checked the NGK iridium spark plugs--they are like new and do not need changing. The engine air cleaner and battery are only a few months old. I just put 4 new Michelin Primacy tires on it. There is no vibration or noise in the steering system. The antislip differential works like new and all the interior dash and lights are working. It has a 6 CD disc changer that is working normally.

I would like to know what you think this car which is now ready for another 100,000 miles is worth today.

Any siggestions.? I think the 1998 LS400 is probably one of the best cars Lexus ever built.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, glad I found this forum but decided to pull the trigger(I know) prior to joining. Seller wanted $2500 for a 94LS with a detached catty convt system. I beat him down to $1200, (dude, I can't drive it) thus the proud owner of my 2nd Lexus, but 1st V8!

Just to confirm this car has only 1 catty converter right??

And second, It needs an"air hose"..What's the official name for this hose located near the top of the engine??

Bronto..

Welcome Brian and congrats on your 'new' purchase.

Actually, the 94 has two cattys...its a V8, so one on each bank(part 17400 in the diagram). And they ain't cheap, at least the good OEM ones are not.

Not sure about the 'air hose' you are referring to. Does it attached to the throttle body? Maybe you can take a pic and post.

post-41820-0-78664800-1402018862_thumb.p

• Like 1

Landar,

Thanks for the insight. The mechanics are asking if I need the right or left CC.. I dont know, which I have. The previous owner removed both to find the bad one, thus I have one. After playing with the one CC, it seems as though it could "fit" passenger or owner side... So are they interchangeable?

And the hose I believe, is the vacuum pipe that connects to the large silver casing containing the Lexus sign..

Since the cats have the same part#, I would guess that they are interchangeable. As far as the hose, it sounds like it is one that connects to the intake plenum but not sure I can nail it down without a pic. Whats the approx. diameter of the hose?

Lander,

How important are those parts notated at the top of the diagram(3 boxes).. Because they're in my trunk & not on the car. To me (who am I) they just looked like mounts..do you recommend putting them on.. and um, where?

Secondly, the first mechanic was clueless as to why the car wouldn't remain on,clearly he's not a Lexus guy...lesson one learned. Again, the car's attempting to start very strong (prev owner installed new spkplgs), but it won't turn over & when it does it chokes itself off.

Lastly, Im having it towed (still not running) to an ASE cert shop; will the diagnostic test communicate the mechanical problems pretty accurately?

Time to face the inevitable, how do I know if the engine's..gone?

Bronto

Hi Guys,

Anyone out there I can buzz via email? What can I expect to pay for a used 94-95 engine for a 94LS400?? Anyone near NC?

My email address is bmcdllc@gmail.com

Bronto

Those parts are brackets so if a cat is missing, they would not be needed. But if you want to get things back to original, they will need to be reinstalled.

Your exhaust system is probably not the reason your engine will not run. And I doubt you need a new engine. Think 'simple' things like rotors/caps, coils, fuel pump.