Knock When Tapping The Brake While In Park

Qafas

Hi everyone,

I have a 91 LS400, w/ 155K, that I bought just a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, the drive belt broke. I just got done putting a new one on. However, now I hear and feel a knock, right under the gear shift, every time I depress the brake while in park (w/ the ignition on). There is no knock when the car is off, or when I am driving. Any ideas what might be causing that, and what I might be able to do about it?

Thanks!

Q

Hi,

Sorry to see about your broken belt. The brake sound happened to me once. I don't think it was serious because it went away. Anyway, do a search on this forum because somebody provided me with a good explanation. Don't worry. It is a good car.

Considering the conditions under which it happens, it might have something to do with the interlock that will not let you put the car out of park without having your foot on the brake. I really haven't looked into it but I believe the shift lock is solenoid controlled, maybe that is what you are hearing.

Im going to have to agree with obergc. The same thing happens to my car. This is totally normal. Just like obergc said you have to have your foot on the brake to shift from park. It doesn't make the sound when the ignition is off because that would make it too easy for car theives! When it makes that thudding sound, thats when you can depress the button on the shifter to shift from park. Once again, my car does it too and its totally normal. You are probably hearing from the first time because you broke your drive belt recently you have been really paying attention to every sound and vibration the car makes. dont worry about this at all.

i got a sound coming from a shifter as well, but is really low so i have to listen carefully but its there. i also think its normal

This condition is normal but once it get too loud you can go ahead and apply some grease to quiet the noise down. This process will require of removing the shifter and center console. We had a client came in the shop, he insisted that this is not a normal condition. So we removed the center console and apply some grease at the interlock and the noise is reduced 50%. Have fun guys.

JPI