• front sway bar links
  • rear struts
  • rear sway bar links
  • rear sway bar bushings

Completed....

• front struts
  • front sway bar links
  • rear struts

And, why not the rear sway bar links & bushings you may ask !

While under the car, removing the brackets to the rear sway bar bushings, the entire sway bar fell out.....it had broken through completely in the drivers sides bushing/bracket.

and, it had been broken for awhile because both sides of the break were thoroughly RUSTED.

Now, to find a rear sway bar/stabilizer bar/anti-sway bar.

Used - ebay - salvage yard

New -dealer -looks like no one else has new sway bars

swaybar1.jpg

swaybar2.jpg

Also, if could get someone in a western state like California or Arizona get one from a scrapyard and ship it to you, that should save you money.

• Like 1

Lexus Owners Club
This post was recognized by Lexus Owners Club!

"25"

wtruck was awarded the badge 'Helpful'

Yes, I'm hunting down used options.

Does anyone know what the difference between a light green and an orange sway bar indicate?

Looks like the stock FWD (with just a sunroof) calls for the light green sway bar which is 16MM.  Part Number: 48812-48060

And, the models that have the moon roofs with multi panels of glass use the orange sway bar, which I believe is 17MM.  Part Number: 48812-48070

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found a sway bar on Ebay, in Texas (rust-free).....[16MM.  Part Number: 48812-48060], and, less than 1/2 price of a new one.

After installing the sway bar and new sway bar links, I took a few test drives and continued to hear a slight humm from the rear.   I wasn't sure if it was tire noise due to needing an alignment or possible rear wheel bearing.

I removed the LH rear caliper & rotor and gave the hub a spin.   I could hear the ever so low tone of the bad bearing.  I ordered and replaced both rear wheel hubs/bearings.

This ranks with one of the worst mechanical maintenance chores I can remember !!

Of course, the wheel hubs were frozen/rusted into the knuckles and dust shields.  After unbolting the hubs I used my Thor hammer and removed them from the knuckles, but, they were both still stuck/rusted into the dust shields.

I removed all the emergency brake components (shoes, springs, pins, adjusters) and then took the hub & dust shields to the workbench.   I used a bolt & nut/washers to make a press between the hub and dust shield.  But, the 3/8 bolt & nut I used only lasted a few turns before stripping.

Off to the hardware store, I purchased a #8 grade bolt & nut, then I used an old 1/4" drive socket as another spacer against the dust shields.   I also knocked out all the lug studs, I didn't have to but it felt good!

I used the #8 bolt/nut/washers/socket to press the hubs out of the dust shields. 

I put the bolt/nut/washers into one of the lug studs holes and would place the 1/4 socket against the dust shield and tighten the bolt/nut, then, I would loosen and rotate the rub move the nut/bolt/washers/socket to an alternate position....I generally used 3 different points (like a triangle) and pressed the hubs out of the dust shields.

If you notice the 1/4" socket in the photo, it is pretty much destroyed from the pressure/stress.  The #8 bolt/nut held up but certainly took a beating.

Yes, the hum noise is now gone and the ride does feel much better.

RX350_rear_bearings.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Now that's a project I would probably not try, myself - too much rust!
I'll bet you feel good, now that it's over. 😏