Battery "registration" on 2012 RX350?

iBooger

I'm told that after replacing the battery on my 2012 RX350, I need to "register" it. Apparently there is a battery management system on the vehicle, and it needs to be told that the battery is new, and not to charge it as aggressively as the old one. Firstly, can anyone confirm that this is true? And required? And if so, is there an affordable scan tool that allows for battery registration?

I've been surprisingly frustrated trying to find info on this topic. A search on these forums returned nothing. And most scan tools that advertise the battery registration feature are for BMW's only.

If I'm going to have to spend $800 on a tool to change my battery, I may as well have a shop do it. Call me cynical, bu I think that's by design.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, Dave. That is interesting. I do find it curious that every time I come across this topic, it's from someone who wants to sell me their service. (Not referring to you, of course, but the yourmechanic.com site ... or the dealer.)

Hoping for a consensus from the rank-and-file here on the forums.