Opinion On Cd Changer Swap

Well, my 12-disc changer in the drunk has had it. A place here in Miami with a good reputation is willing to remove the old one, swap for a rebuilt OEM changer with 1-year warranty. Total cost would be $285. The dealer said they could do the same for $600...don't think so!

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the $285 deal? I'd like to stay OEM if it's worth it. There are no adapters for an aftermarket changer to interface properly with the head unit.

Thanks-

scguy--

have you determined specifically what went wrong with the unit. is the

laser out ?? have you tried cleaning it with ammonia, windex or similar

cleaning agent. i have restored several home players by cleaning the

head this way. fortunately my changer unit in sc400(near 12 yrs old) is still going but if it ever acts up on me, i will attempt a clean job.

btw, where does the firm there in miami get their parts to rebuid

the old units??? must be a source someplace for them if u could find out.

all in all tho, $285 doesnt sound that really bad if the reputation is truly good as you say.

lexie

I would go for SEALevels 150 CD changer.

If not 300 for OEM is not worth it. because its going to break again. eventually.

Have you considdered an RF cd changer like an alpine? it will cost you less then 200.

OR you can buy a converter made by BLITZ which will allow you to connect an after market CD changer to your factory radio, that way you can still use the controls off the radio. Not sure the model of it you would have to go to a big name company or surf the web for it.