Things I do like!

Lexus Owners Club

I keep mine charged via small table lamp. Wake in the morning, cut on a small lamp that lights the room. Keep the 5 solar watches I own in a circle around it. 

I like table lamps too. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 12:07 PM, Bykfixer said:

I keep mine charged via small table lamp. Wake in the morning, cut on a small lamp that lights the room. Keep the 5 solar watches I own in a circle around it. 

That's a very sensible option, although my Omega has luminous hands and these don't illuminate anymore as they used to charge nicely under fluorescent light but we don't have any of these lamps anymore 😞

On 5/9/2022 at 12:07 PM, Bykfixer said:

I like table lamps too. 

🙂

I have quite a few watches but rotate through 6, all high-contrast so they are easy to read at any distance. My two favorites are these:
The Seiko Kinetic watch cannot be wound using the knob or with a typical watch winder (You have to swing it back and forth many times.), so I experimented with various ways to move its pendulum frequently enough to charge its capacitor. It took playing around with a stepper motor and controller, as well as differently shaped motor attachments. Finally, I have something that works. I've sold at least 20 of them over the past year.

Seiko_IWC front.jpg

Seiko_IWC back.jpg

• Like 1

Watches, especially with mechanical movements are such things of beauty!

I only have mechanical watches as I find quartz watches fail on me more than mechanical.

Would like to see the device you have created to wind the watches, have seen many mechanical watch winders but not many that change rotation as most just spin in one direction which is not good for the movement..

I wore Seiko kinectics until the battery stopped taking a charge. I read online where to buy a battery and how to replace them but just never have. 

Quartz are good until the day you realize it stopped working 2 hours ago. 

I prefer hand wind watches but every one I own quits working long before it has unwound so I just stick with a solar watch or a quartz. 

Here's an exploded and an assembled (rendered) image of it. The motor and switch wiring is not shown. The watch is mounted in such a way that the pendulum moves back and forth,  Every hour of rotation charges a fairly new battery for about one week's worth of watch operation. I typically run the winder for multiple hours at a time. 
The component and assembly designs were done using Alibre Expert and the rendering by Keyshot, which came with Alibre. I also offer clamped stand versions (without the solid stainless steel base) for less money. The one you see below is $132. The motor is fairly quiet but not as quiet as a box watch winder. It took me a while to model the watch, and it is still not yet complete.

Watch winder black stand exploded assy.png

Watch winder black stand assy.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lexus Owners Club said:

Wow! that's incredible workmanship Dave and great engineering and design.
The trouble with watch boxes is that they take up a huge amount of space and your design is sleek which is how people want things nowadays I guess

Thanks, Trevor. My goal was to keep the cost down by offering mounting options. The least expensive version includes a hand clamp, the next least expensive includes a rubber insulated (at contact points) screw clamp that takes up less room, and the one depicted above is about $23 more expensive than the squeeze clamp version.

• Like 1

Cost is always a big issue when it comes to marketing a new product (cost to make and retail price) but always has to allow for profit.
Good luck with refining the end product so that it is where it needs to be in the market, I guess every small refinement helps to balance it out

Greetings

New to the group,recently retired Auto Shop owner, Master Auto tech,specializing in European & Asian Sports Cars.

"Life is racing,everything else is just waiting"

The King of Cool  ✌️

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 4:25 AM, Lexus Owners Club said:

Okay how about a positive thread of things we do like?
Let's keep it upbeat, no politics or religion (there's plenty of forums for them) 🙂

I'll start again!

Beer

Harleys

Lexus (of course)

....did I mention Beer yet?

Whisky please 😎

On 5/27/2022 at 3:25 AM, Lexus Owners Club said:

Cost is always a big issue when it comes to marketing a new product (cost to make and retail price) but always has to allow for profit.
Good luck with refining the end product so that it is where it needs to be in the market, I guess every small refinement helps to balance it out

Yes, exactly. I did replace the original gear reduction motor with a larger, quieter one that is double the cost. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ralph Gregory said:

Greetings

New to the group,recently retired Auto Shop owner, Master Auto tech,specializing in European & Asian Sports Cars.

The King of Cool  ✌️

Hello, Ralph. What car do you race? I used to work with a guy who, along with a friend, bought an older Porsche 944 to race it. Back then, used 944s were inexpensive,

6 hours ago, Bykfixer said:

62317994-8781-43EF-8CBD-0ADCB3C4976C.thumb.jpeg.63f85fc7ea5f3f277f284ef118edc972.jpeg

I like cherry Pepsi on occasion. 

That's about as close to whiskey as I'll go these days. 

Helloooooooo diabetes!😉

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:09 AM, Ralph Gregory said:

Greetings

The King of Cool  ✌️

Steve McQueen quote....absolutely spot on!

I'm off to Le Mans 24 Hours next week. can't wait to revisit the mecca of all motorsport as haven't been since lockdown restrictions and chomping at the bit

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, RX400h said:

Hello, Ralph. What car do you race? I used to work with a guy who, along with a friend, bought an older Porsche 944 to race it. Back then, used 944s were inexpensive,

Crewed on several over the years....Back in the 80's,Super Vee days (aka Formula Atlantic),I crewed on an "Anson"...Drag racing in '08 (TAFC),'09 NFC in the NHRA Nostalgia  & '10,Nitro Funny Car,NHRA.

Last year ('21) I Crew Chief'ed IF1 Reno Air racer "Race 72 Team Acme" 

😎20200726_172025.thumb.jpg.f08e83beead352a442f2562f5b7a2340.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ralph Gregory said:

Crewed on several over the years....Back in the 80's,Super Vee days (aka Formula Atlantic),I crewed on an "Anson"...Drag racing in '08 (TAFC),'09 NFC in the NHRA Nostalgia  & '10,Nitro Funny Car,NHRA.

Last year ('21) I Crew Chief'ed IF1 Reno Air racer "Race 72 Team Acme" 

😎20200726_172025.thumb.jpg.f08e83beead352a442f2562f5b7a2340.jpg

Fantastic! Racing is in your blood!

I did fly in a biplane, once. It surely wasn't fast but it was fun. My fastest driving experience on the street was in a 2019 McLaren 570S Spider. I did keep it under 150, however.

6 hours ago, Ralph Gregory said:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lexus Owners Club said:

Steve McQueen quote....absolutely spot on!

I'm off to Le Mans 24 Hours next week. can't wait to revisit the mecca of all motorsport as haven't been since lockdown restrictions and chomping at the bit

I'm totally jealous, Trevor! Have a great time out there.👍

• Like 1