Tail lights on trunk only work when trunk is fully open!

Glenn B.

I saw the friendly warning light on my dash saying that a tail light was out.  I found that bad boy on my trunk lid and replaced it.

However, now I see that the taillights on my trunk only work when the trunk is fully open, but not when it is closed.  I followed the trunk light cords along the hinge to where they come out from behind the trunk lining, and jiggled them while the trunk was open.  The taillights on the trunk didn't flicker at all.

Now I still have the error light up on my dash, and the only thing keeping my taillights on the trunk from working seems to be closing the trunk!

Edited by Glenn B.

I would suspect a broken wire at the hinge.  Unwrap the wires at the hinge and look for wires that are cracked.  You might have to wiggle the wires to determine if/where the metal wire cores are broken under the insulation on each wire.   I had to splice in short lengths of wire on my first LS400 when the car was 13 years old due to the wires at the hinge breaking.  The friend who bought the car from me had to do again as the car aged.