It's Gotta Go, But How?

mattbys

Ok, I have decided to sell/trade my 94 LS400. The problem is that no area dealers (Seattle) are willing to give me a fair trade on it. I know that you usually get taken on a trade, but it has been rediculous. For those who have bought/sold lately, how did you do it? Auto Trader, Newspaper, etc?

I sold my 90 LS last November. As I was cleaning it up to ready it for sale, a guy painting the house next door wanted to buy it. When he couldn't come up with the money, I put an ad in the Kansas City Star, a flyer in a book of cars for sale at my favorite repair shop, and placed flyers in all 14 break rooms where I work.

I got lots of calls from the newspaper ad but sold the car the 1st day through one of the breakroom ads. As people who knew me found out my car had been for sale, lots of other people asked if they could buy it but of course it was already sold.

My point is, if your LS is in good condition and looks nice, it should be very easy to sell quickly. But be realistic about price. There is a glut of used cars out there. Also in November I bought a very well equipted, low (38K) miles 2000 LS for about the price of a new Camry XLE. Used cars are really cheap now.

My MOTTO for buying and selling cars has always been, Buy it from EBAY.... Sell it on AutoTrader.... but be warned I recently was selling a celica on autotrader for 8000.00, someone emailed me and said they were an auto broker and wanted to purchase the car for someone in the UK, they sent me a Cashiers Check for 6500.00 over my asking price and asked me to wire him the overage, needless to say I deposited the check in my account because of the size of the check my personal banker put a hold on the check (THANK GOD!!), it turns out the check was a fraud..... :unsure:

I am also driving a 1994 Lexus LS400. I wonder how much you can sell it now. It is not in a bad conditions. Over a period of time, it got some of the parts changed, but most of them are still Lexus OEM, not aftermarket.

I changed my windshield because of those annoying 18 wheelers on high way are spitting rocks like bullets. Other than that, that's about it. Sadly, after I changed my windshield, the sticker that says "Preowned Certified" is no longer there lol oh well.