2007 RX350 FWD - Front Brake Hose

Over 200K miles and noticing an occasional pull to the right when braking, so, I decided to change front brake hoses.

When i removed the front right hose (passenger), as I unscrewed the brake line fitting from the brake hose fitting, it seemed to not want to separate/uncouple.  But, with some ample pressure it did finally pull apart.

However, when I try to thread the brake line fitting into the new brake hose (fitting) the threads never want to catch.  From a little research I was under the impression that the brake line fitting is a M10 x 1.0 thread.

I went to Napa and tried to match a bolt thread into the old brake hose, it was not M10 x 1.0, but, 3/8 x 24...I purchased a bolt and nut with this thread pattern thinking that I could use the nut to run onto the brake line fitting to true-up and clean the threads of the brake line fitting.  

• But, I cant get the nut past the flare of the brake line. 
  • And, it seems that there's a compression sleeve in between the flare of the line and the beginning of the threads that won't allow the nut past to even begin touching the threads of the fitting.

Is there a trick to starting the brake line fitting into the brake hose?

I cannot get the brake line fitting to start into either the OLD or the NEW brake hose.

Does your setup look similar to either of these? Your fitting threads are definitely metric.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=0644CDFFD02353C3C7A00644CDFFD02353C3C7A0&q=how to replace a flexible brake hose, Lexus&shtp=GetUrl&shid=302220cc-8a56-4d46-ae07-3081e5b608cb&shtk=SG93IHRvIEF2b2lkIFRyb3VibGUgV2hlbiBSZXBsYWNpbmcgQWdpbmcgRmxleGlibGUgQnJha2UgSG9zZXM%3D&shdk=VGhpcyBpcyBhIHZlcnkgaW1wb3J0YW50IG1haW50ZW5hbmNlIGl0ZW0gdGhhdCBJIGZpbmQgY29tbW9ubHkgbWlzc2VkOiBMaW5rIHRvIGhvc2UgYW5kIGJsZWVkZXIga2l0czogaHR0cHM6Ly9tZXJjZWRlc3NvdXJjZS5jb20vc3RvcmUvc2VhcmNoP2tleXM9YnJha2UlMjBob3Nl&shhk=cqdD7Jx8Pe34xqm98naYhBWUYA7g5dEOpfpHJbi0RAE%3D&form=VDSHOT&shth=OVP._WvJCa6dcCRzK1cDb2TfvAHgFo

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=8FDFFDB521CD81B852D68FDFFDB521CD81B852D6&q=how to replace a flexible brake hose, Lexus&shtp=GetUrl&shid=74daa155-fb43-4aac-bf59-f9dc3ef22aa2&shtk=SG93IHRvIFJlcGxhY2UgYSBCcmFrZSBIb3NlIC0gRkFTVCBCTEVFRA%3D%3D&shdk=VXNpbmcgYSAyMDA1IENoZXZ5IEVxdWlub3ggSSBzaG93IHlvdSBob3cgdG8gcXVpY2tseSBjaGFuZ2UgYSBicmFrZSBob3NlIGFuZCBibGVlZCB0aGUgYnJha2VzIGFmdGVyd2FyZHMuIElmIHlvdSBkbyB0aGlzIHJpZ2h0LCB5b3UgY2FuIGF2b2lkIGEgdGltZS1jb25zdW1pbmcgYnJha2UgYmxlZWQgcHJvY2Vzcy4gVGhlIGhvc2Ugb24gdGhpcyBFcXVpbm94IHdhcyByZXN0cmljdGVkLCBjYXVzaW5nIHRoZSBicmFrZXMgdG8gb3ZlcmhlYXQgYXQgb25lIG9mIHRoZSBjYWxpcGVycy4%3D&shhk=va5GQ3mE9wJaqya7bSzylzTP1c2buD2x5Uc9hvycuI0%3D&form=VDSHOT&shth=OVP.7m9FGgSoKlRPH9DytouAkwIIEk

Yes, I'd watched those videos before I attempted to change the brake hose.  The old brake hose really doesn't show any outward damage (211K miles).  But, I wanted to attempt this simple/fast change (haha) to see if it would resolve the slight right pull I'm experiencing when braking.

So, the brake fitting was awkward to pull out of the old hose after I had finished unscrewing the brake fitting.

And, now the brake line will fit into the brake hose ok, but, the brake fitting appears to have been spread out by the brake line flare too far to allow it go into the brake hose fitting (the old brake hose or the new brake hose).

I'm tempted to take a pair of pliers and crush/squeeze the end of the brake fitting.

frbrakefitting1.1.jpg

frbrakeline2 .1.jpg

Here is a brake system diagram of a 2007 RX350. I wasn't sure where yours was manufactured. This one is for an RX350 made in Japan. There is one more country of origin. Your VIN number will reveal where your RX was made.

I think the line you need to replace is circled in red. The best way to verify is to call your Lexus parts department person and ask.

2007 RX350 Brake Diagram.jpg

I ran my VIN on THR, results were a little confusing.  One result shows as Japan, but, another shows Canada.

I believe it’s Canadian…aayy, it begins with “2T2”

Mark

WMI

Manufacturer

Brand Owner

Country Code

Country

LEXUS

2T2

Toyota Motor Mfg Canada Inc (CAN)

TOYOTA

2T

Canada

LEXUS

JT1

TOYOTA (J)

TOYOTA

JT

Japan

LEXUS

JT6

TOYOTA (J)

TOYOTA

JT

Japan

LEXUS

JT8

TOYOTA (J)

TOYOTA

JT

Japan

LEXUS

JTH

TOYOTA (J)

TOYOTA

JT

Japan

LEXUS

JTJ

TOYOTA (J)

TOYOTA

JT

Japan

It may require the same part number but you really should call the parts department person at your local Lexus dealership to verify.

Here's the diagram for the Canada-built RX: Take a look in the upper left-hand corner.

2007 RX350 Canada Brake Diagram.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, the RX350 has been in the shop.

Weather turned on me so I sent it to the shop.  One man shop and unfortunately he experienced some down time due to illness.

He was able to cut the brake line, remove the brake fitting and re-double flare the brake line.

But after replacing both front brake hoses it still continued to pull right when applying brakes.

The problem was the ball joints.  And, the old ball joints that were on the vehicle only had 2 of 3 mounting bolts holding them on….I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed that when I was looking at and working on front brakes.

3F9E747A-5694-48E0-B024-380101BE43F2.jpeg

36ECB32F-6C48-4049-BA68-D8187C9D1FCD.jpeg

Before anything was done, I would've guessed it was a stuck caliper slide. Most likely, a good alignment shop would've caught the ball joint(s).

But it's good that you are back to normal. (and safe on the road)👍