Buying a used 2007 Lexus RX400 Hybrid with 167k mileage... Timing belt?

Cameronmichael

I hope you all can help me, I will be finalizing paperwork tomorrow to purchase a used 2007 Lexus RX400 hybrid with 167,000 miles on the engine. It is a one owner vehicle with fantastic service records, and I am seeing everything on car fax as well as the Lexus owner portal about maintenance EXCEPT for the timing belt. No records whatsoever for any timing belt inspections, failures or replacements. I have owned many vehicles with over 150k miles and they always had new belts thrown on around 90-130k miles. I have doubts that even a Lexus timing belt can make it to 167k, and with the owners taking such fantastic care of it how could this have been overlooked? Is there any way to either physically see whether or not the belt has been done without a mechanic? What do you all think?

Edited by Cameronmichael

If you google the question of what the older Lexus RXs have, the general answer is that it's a timing chain.  I suspect that the belt answer comes from people confusing belts on the outside of the engine with a timing belt they used to put on the outside.  Don't go forgetting that the Hybrid uses less engine running hours than a regular engine. I had the Camry Hybrid and I could spend 15 minutes in line at the Burger King and never run the engine.  So I would gladly derate 167K miles to 75% of that, or 125,000 miles "equivalent" miles.  There is no way around that.  With the new NX plug-ins coming out, the engine will get even less usage if people keep plugging them in instead.

Based upon our RX400h owner's manual, the timing belt, along with the air conditioner filter should've been replaced at 90,000 miles. Les Lex, I would think that Lexus engineers would take hybrid operating specifics in consideration when specifying the maintenance schedule for hybrids.
We had our timing belt replaced at about 90,000 miles.

OK, now here is why questions on the web about timing chains and belts get confusing answers.  

My 2020 RX 350 War. Manual does not mention a timing belt at any interval.  But on page 72 (Explanation of maintenance items), it states:

TIMING CHAIN - The timing chain requires no periodic maintenance.

Thanks for the pic, Dave.  For us EE guys, lot of this mechanical stuff is Greek.  But I do remember my disgusting Ford Splinto had a timing belt strapped to the side of the engine. Or was that on the Chevette? i.e. America's failed attempt at making Econ-boxes to compete with a Honda.  Never did happen, but they keep trying...