Leather Seats

Linda C

I am very happy to report that my Lexus Dealership agreed with me today when I stated that their previous responses to my leather seat issues (using a "bandaid approach" at leather repair) were totally unacceptable. I met a different warranty administrator today. He was entirely professional (the original guy had rolled his eyes when I informed him that his first attempt at repair had failed); this gentleman even agreed when I stated that the seat should have been replaced 20,000 miles ago. He excused himself briefly, made the phone call to Headquarters and returned with good news -- approval for the seat replacement at no cost to me. Needless to say, I thanked him for his professionalism and fairness. He replied that this time I would be treated properly. My car has over 69,000 miles at this point, but as I explained in the earlier post, the complaint was lodged while under warranty.

Later, my service rep. (who had gathered all the paperwork beforehand) said that Lexus wants to keep stellar customers like me who always come in for their service appt.'s at the appropriate times. By the way, the leather issue was my first complaint ever.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who responded to my earlier post. It was your encouragement that sent me down the road this morning! I decided a phone call would be worthless. My appearance at the agency was worth my change of plans for today!!! Again, thank you!! Linda

Hi Linda.

I'm glad that the dealership came through for you. But even if they had not, Lexus corporate would have required them to replace the leather had you called them. Please do not think that the dealer is doing a favor for you. Do not let them tie your coming in for frequent service to their honoring the warranty on your leather seats. These are two completely separate matters.

As long as you document that you properly maintain your car while it is under warranty, you are free to use independent repair shops for maintenance service. Although I took my LS to the Lexus dealer for warranty work last week, tomorrow I am taking it to my favorite independent repair shop (owned by a former Lexus service writer with former Lexus dealer mechanics) for routine service. The service and prices are far better at this independent shop.

Linda, it would be helpful if, instead of starting a new topic to report your success, you would have made the report under the original topic. It makes it easier for us to track your issue. Not to be critical - I know you are new at this and I welcome and enjoy your participation.

Best regards,

Jim

To prevent this from happening again, I highly recommend this product:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino

I've been using it for almost three years (in my 2001 Corvette) and not only do my seats look great, but they smell like they are brand new. This stuff smells great!

Glad it was worked out for you. Its still nice to see the dealership come through and get up to the plate without having to have Lexus FORCE them.

One reason I still mainly use the Lexus dealer for service. You build a relationship with the service writer and they can help you down the road get more serious problems fixed. Having a good personal relationship with the service people has helped me tremendously on other vehicles, I consider the service rep at Ford a personal friend because of our relationship over 7 years of Explorer ownership. I've had Ford cover several things that I don't think they would have covered otherwise (or it would have taken serious legwork on my part) had it not been for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, i did a report by accident, sorry who ever got it.

I live in Houston, Tx and went to 3 dealers and none of them wanted a deposit so I put my name on the list at all 3 dealers, hehe. I'll cancel the other 2 once 1 is confirmed. Having a baby on the way calls for more room thus the need for the SUV and having an SUV that is capable of 30mpg would be sweet. Especially, with the rising gas prices.

RX400: You bought a vette, I'm building a race/street car to play with, when I have the need for speed :D I currently drive a V6 Tundra and would like to eventually sell that and get a PRIUS too.

Hopefully, the RX400 will come a little sooner. Then January.

There was actually one dealer that did not require a deposit, but I was a bit leary as to how they were going to decide who to call first. There is no list, just your e-mail request to be placed on one.

I need to drive an RX, since I haven't had the chance yet. Good luck with your sporty car. Having both a low and a high-riding vehicle is great! :cheers:

I just came across your topic and would like to get some feedback from everyone. I have a tear in my leather seat (passenger)--(backside area--where magazine holder is located). Is this repair part of my warranty? and if not, what would be the price range to correct it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

--I'm guessing we do not have to replace the whole seat because it looks like the part where it's ripped can be taken out--detached from the whole seat. Hopefully, you can follow me on this.--any feedback would be great!

Please post replies on forum--

Thank you,

KNK