Door Won't Open

Just looking for a possible diagnosis on my es. My passenger side door won't open from the outside. Not sure of the cause. Door works fine from the inside. I can hear a rattling inside the door like something came loose. Also, door rattles when music is up. Any clue what this might be and if I might be able to get in there and fix it myself? Thanks.

If you can open the door from the inside, then the problem will most likely break down to 2 obvious possibilities. The outside door handle has a tab that pulls on a rod the actuates the lock mechanism. Your tab is most likely broken off (usually happens in winter in cold climates like here in Southern Ontario, when the door handle is pulled while the door is frozen shut. After a winter rain moisture in the door freezes the mechanism or the freezes the weatherstripping to the car body overnight and when the door handle is forced the next morning..bingo). Sometimes the tab gets cracked and over time it finally lets go. Possibly the actuator rod the goes from the door pull to the lock mechanism has come unclipped. There's a plastic lock that holds the lock actuator rod in place, and if it has come loose the rod falls out of place then... no open. This may well be your rattle. Yes, you can fix it yourself if you are up for frustration at working in awkward/confined spaces where you really can't see that well. Get the door panel off, peal the door plastic weather seal down, and with the glass all the way up, you will see open ports in the door where you have limited access to the lock mechanism and wiring. I guarantee that you will need lots of patience, but if you are up for the challenge, and handy with tools, you can do it yourself. You mighty even get lucky and find the parts that have come undone lying in the bottom of the door! Good luck!

I would say it is the plastic tab which can break when it is over stressed from pulling the handle all the way and letting go quickly.

Just a small white tab,you should be able to buy it seperatly.