Storing Procedures

arnie1

I have an SC430 that i'm not planning on driving during the winters. The building i live in has heated underground parking. What are the procedures to store this vehicle to eliminate problems in the spring?

• 3 weeks later...

You might try putting it on a schumacher battery tender that keeps a full charge automatically but doesn't overcharge. Or if it won't be moved you can ask Lexus if you should disconnect the battery and how that will effect the stereo and computers etc. However, I would consider having it moved once in a while to avoid flat spotting the tires and getting a good but not too expensive car cover. Depends on whether you can trust someone in your garage to look after it ................

Come to think of it---the sc430 has run flat tires so you probably can't flat spot them as easily as regular tires by having them sit in one place for months. So I would just check with lexus regarding battery charging or disconnecting it etc.

There is a product you add to your gas tank, can't think of the name of it now. It prevents varnish build up. Add to tank, run for a few minutes then turn off. You could put the car on jack stands to take the load off the tires. One of those bubble enclosures might be a good bet. Also get some dehumidifier bags and toss in the interior and trunk. Or just loan it to me for the winter, no snow in Phoenix! I'll be sure no carbon builds up in the combustion chambers. ;)

For optimum vehicle reliability and durability, all cars need to be started and driven at least 10 miles every two weeks. And the AC system run each time. Ford even goes so far as to warn owners of the unavoidable long term consequences of failing to drive the car at least twice a month.

• 5 years later...

I'm going to answer my own original question, since i've done a lot of research. I do the following for winter storage:

Give the car a good wash.

Change the oil.

Put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and fill the tank.

Add additional air pressure to the tires to the maximum they are rated to hold.

Vacuum the interior and trunk.

Check the antifreeze.

Disconnect the battery.

Put on the car cover.

In the spring, i uncover the car, re connect the battery and drive away. I do have to reset the compass, radio buttons, and clock. I don't use the seat setting buttons so i don't know about those.

I'm going to answer my own original question, since i've done a lot of research. I do the following for winter storage:

Give the car a good wash.

Change the oil.

Put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and fill the tank.

Add additional air pressure to the tires to the maximum they are rated to hold.

Vacuum the interior and trunk.

Check the antifreeze.

Disconnect the battery.

Put on the car cover.

In the spring, i uncover the car, re connect the battery and drive away. I do have to reset the compass, radio buttons, and clock. I don't use the seat setting buttons so i don't know about those.

FWIW, this summer is I stored my BMW convertible (was away for four months). I used a trickle charger (about $20 or less, available at Sears or Black&Decker etc...); as you suggested, filled the tires to max. stated pressure capability; completely filled the gas tank; had the car 'detailed'; covered the car with a fitted car cover. Four months later, I took off the car cover, disconnected the trickle charger, re-set the tires to correct pressures.... and the motor started first try, no flat spot on the tires, and the car felt like new!

With an RX300, in Michigan, for five months in winter in a garage adjacent to house (thus does not freeze), same procedure; same result.