Phone has to be connected each time we get in car

Especially if I have been in car with my phone, then my wife gets in car, she has to connect her phone which she does not know how to do.

Yesterday after I was in the car even though I turned Bluetooth OFF on my phone so it would not connect, her phone did not connect when she got in car.  I connected her phone before she went on trip and now it is not connected again.

I guess if I am in the car and my phone is connected I will have to connect her phone, manually on the screen when she gets in every time, right?  But I did that and still it was disconnected. 

Has to be a better way?

Lexus Owners Club
This post was recognized by Lexus Owners Club!

1990LS400 was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 25 points.

The problem you are having has occurred on every vehicle we've had that had Bluetooth.

I'm sure your wife can learn to connect her phone if it's not connected.  My wife may be the most technically challenged person on earth and she's learned to do it.

An easy way to verify which phone is connected is to press the off-hook button on the steering wheel and look at the screen to see which phone is connected.  If the desired phone isn't connected, then press the virtual connect button and then select it from list on the screen.  If the desired phone still doesn't connect, first try toggling Bluetooth on the desired phone off and then on.  In rare cases, it's been necessary to reboot the phone or turn the vehicle ignition off and restart the engine.

I used to have the problem far more when I had my home phone system automatically connect to my cell phone as I entered our house.  Our home phone system tended to not "turn loose" of my phone when I went to the garage and started one of our vehicles.  Most of the time I would have to manually sever the connection with the home phone system and manually connect my phone to the Bluetooth system in the vehicle I was about to drive.  The problem went away when I stopped connecting my cell phone to our home phone system.   I realized that I'd rather have my cell phone in my pocket when I'm home and I my current cell phone's long battery life means I don't need to charge it as often..  

BTW, the latest Toyota/Lexus in-dash systems, such as the one on the Lexus NX450h my wife is getting, allow two cell phones to be connected simultaneously.  I'm not sure that is an improvement but we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Thanks, virtual connect button in the settings/phone?  I dont have the car here now to look.  Assume you mean go to phone in menu and  so on.

The other problem is the car lists 3 phones, one of them is my name and the word iPhone after, the other two simply say iPhone, I dont know which of the two is hers...  I assume I can delete both and add one back I just am not sure how to name it so the CAR reflects that name on the screen.

4 hours ago, libertas said:

Thanks, virtual connect button in the settings/phone?  I dont have the car here now to look.  Assume you mean go to phone in menu and  so on.

I don't have a UX but on most Toyota/Lexus vehicles, there is a "Connect Phone" button displayed on the in-dash screen after you press the off-hook button on the steering wheel.

Could one of the iPhones displayed on the in-dash screen be a phone that's no longer used?   If in doubt, delete and re-add the phones.  You should be able to rename the phone in the car's Bluetooth settings.  And if you want to, you should be able to rename the vehicle in the phone's Bluetooth settings. 

• Like 1