Sorting Out a Neglected 2007 GX470

theukfan

I just bought what i consider to be a neglected 2007 GX470 at an auction.  It has 133,000 miles on it and I knew what i was getting before I purchased it, so to date there are been very few surprises.  But looking for insights, experiences and opinions as i sort out the many issues associated with not doing regular, ongoing maintenance!  This vehicle was just driven hard and long with little maintenance.  I ran the Carfax as well as Lexus Service information as well as any other historical information I have been able to find to create a list.  I purchased this vehicle for the right price so I do not believe I will get hurt as long as something big and unexpected comes up.  I love to work on cars and do most of the work myself, but I do know my limits so if I get something that is too big of a project or I don't have the skills or expertise to fix I have a few shops and friends I can call in for help. (i am also very grateful for YouTube!)  I am not sure I the plan is to keep this or flip it, but I want to fix it like i will make it a daily driver.  I was looking for an LX for an SUV option for our household that could pull a small trailer (jet skis) but the price was more than right for this vehicle so I jumped in for a GX and generally like it so far.  The only service I can find that was done past warranty are oil changes and the spark plugs were replaced at a little over 100K miles. 

I picked it up last Friday.  Last weekend I started by:

1. Cleaning it out, sweeping cleaning, sweeping some more.  Most of this was purely cosmetic but it looked like the person that owned it had not cleaned out the interior in years.
  2. Starting my list of issues and findings
  3. Took of the front wheels to look at breaks and Tie rod ends and ended up replacing front breaks and calipers.  They looked to be original and one of the pistons in each caliber was frozen and the pads had about 1/8th of an inch of pad left!  Rotors seemed OK, and felt good with the new breaks.
  4. Drained the Transmission Pan and replaced the fluid that drained. I ended up doing this twice because of the color of the fluid that came out.  - More to come on the transmission below.
  5. Ordered Tires
  6. Began ordering other parts  

The plan for this next weekend.

1. Replace Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioners, etc. - I can find no documentation or evidence this has ever been done.
  2. Replace Radiator, Serpentine Belt, Idler Pulley, hoses, thermostat, etc - There is some evidence that the radiator is leaking so while it is out... Let's fix it.
  3. Fix the Secondary Air Injection System.  It is trowing codes for this system and I am not surprised.  It is just a pain to get to! I might have more room while the Radiator and timing chain is out to reach to the back of the engine.  I believe this should address warning the lights on the dash. 
  4. Replace Front end Tie Rod Ends and Sway Bars 

The following week

1. Have tires installed and aligned
  2. Have front bearings packed or replaced as part of new tires.
  3. Have Transmission Services.  Replace filter inspect the transmission and another round of transmission fluid change. - I know someone that has a Transmission shop so I figured I would have an expert inspect the transmission as I know very little about the actual innards of a transmission!  My plan is to drive it and replace a couple gallons of transmission fluid a little at a time until i can get it looking closer to red than black!

The 3rd Weekend:

1. Replace Front Struts
  2. Replace Rear Air Bags
  3. Replace Rear Shocks
  4. Change Differential oils
  5. Change Motor Oil - It currently looks clean and there is a Valvoline Instant Oil Change Sticker that says it is not due for 3000 miles at this point. 

At that point i believe it will be road ready.

• What is left is at least one exhaust manifold. i will start working on that or get someone I know that owns a muffler shop to do this.  the exhaust manifold leak is not bad yet, but I can hear it and this is a known issue with this engine it is on the horizon.
  • Dash cracks- this one was not replaced but needed to be.  What are the best options?

Based on the groups experience, and not knowing the specifics of this vehicle, what am I missing?  What other "catch up" maintenance, intervention maintenance should I be looking forward to?

Also interested in thoughts and opinions specifically on the transmission.  When I first got it I thought it was not shifting at the right times, staying in the lower gear too long.  Once i changed 3 gallons of transmission fluid I felt this was much better.  Replacing the filter and having it looked at by a professional i am hoping will provide guidance for the future.  What has this group experienced?

Thoughts, Comments, Insights, Rude Gestures, Interpretive Dance?  Looking for whatever you got!

theukfan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

Well done for purchasing a great vehicle, regardless of the amount of work that you are going to undertake on it.
I believe you will have a superb car at the end of it and also you will know what has been done and what needs doing which takes away any uncertainty and doubt to reliability, etc.

Plenty of information within these forums to get to know what you need and keep us updated on the progress, sounds like you are going to be busy for quite a while 🙂

Good to have you onboard!

• 8 months later...

Excellent purchase in my pinion John..I own a 2007 gx since new I drove it out of the showroom in june 2007 ..she now has 91000 miles and has been garage kept since new  I dont drive in the rain or snow thats because I'm a fanatic ...I use my jeep on those days..this truck is the best vehicle that I have ever owned ..hands down and I am 75 years old  and have owned many cars since I was 18 ..you made a great buy ..take care of it ..do your regular maint before it is due ..use high test fuel ..like shell v power etc ..ods are you will be driving this baby for many happy years ...ps there are many good videos on youtube about the GX.