Radio Anti-theft Code

Garec

I recently bought a 2019 RX 350 and it occurred to me that at some point I will need to replace the battery or will need to disconnect it and will need the code to get the radio working again.  I started looking through my manuals and other paperwork and have looked throughout the interior, but haven't found the anti-theft code.  Does anyone know whether it's hidden somewhere like a menu?  I've probably got plenty of time to find it, but I'll need it sooner or later.

Thanks

Hi Jack,

Once again thanks for offering to help.  The code you mentioned is the Sirius XM Radio ID number, which is used by Sirius to identify the radio for managing their service.  The code I need is the one I will need to resurrect my radio if the car's battery dies or gets disconnected.  If that code isn't entered the radio will still look great, but no sound will come out!

Regards,

Garec

Your Lexus dealer parts department "Should" have an app that can input your VIN and produce the code for you, if you do find you need one.

You would not want some smart thief tearing up your ride cause he knew the anti-theft code was hidden somewhere.

That's what I remember anyway when I gave the original Camry radio back to the dealer as part of the sale, after replacing it with an aftermarket unit.

They returned my aftermarket unit as part of the deal.  I hooked it up to a 12 Volt switcher supply for 30 dollars, and I use it as a component stereo. It's great for FM, USB-MP3, and CD plays in the Rec room.

Regards to Les and Jack.

I decided on the direct approach to this question.  I found the Lexus web site on Google and found an email address that looked promising for getting answers.  I'm going to block copy my request and the answer I received a couple of days later.

Thank you for contacting Lexus.

Below is a summary of your most recent email message received and our response.

We appreciate the continued opportunity to be of service to you.

Subject

Radio Anti-theft Code
Response By Email (Elizabeth O.) (09/20/2021 05:05 PM)
Dear Mr. Murphy,

Thank you for contacting Lexus. Congratulations on purchasing your 2019 RX 350.

Your 2019 RX 350 doesn't have a radio security code.

Have you registered for
Lexus Drivers yet or downloaded the Lexus App from the Apple® App Store or Google Play? Lexus Drivers is the best way to update your vehicle’s ownership information, view a list of your vehicle's specifications, check on open recalls, view Owner's Manual and warranty information and more. Also, to learn about our current and future vehicles, and our exclusive rewards and events. You can also visit our Reveals page or our New Models page, or follow us on social media and join our community.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to
contact us. We are glad to help at any time.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth O.
Lexus Brand Engagement Center
Customer By CSS Web (xxxxx) (09/19/2021 08:37 PM)
I recently bought a 2019 RX 350. The stereo system works well, but I know that at some point the battery will die or be disconnected and I will need the code to get the stereo working again. I have the manuals for the vehicle, but have not been able to find the code. A thorough search of the interior of the vehicle has also been unsuccessful. I have the registration and the bill of sale from the dealer, which was not a Lexus dealership. Can I send proof of ownership and get the code?

Thanks

Question Reference # 210919-000171

• Date Created: 09/19/2021 08:37 PM CT
  • Date Last Updated: 09/20/2021 05:05 PM CT
[---002:001478:17040---]

If you are surprised you are not alone.  If you doubt that this is genuine you can click the "contact us" link and contact them yourself.

• 2 years later...

Garec, I find your post very interesting. I own a 2014 ES300h. (311k on original battery) Just had the hybrid battery replaced with a refurbished Lexus battery ($2500), crazy thing is now I've lost all functionality of the radio, satellite radio, nav, backup camera, bluetooth ect. and the screen is dead. HVAC still working. The dome light doesn't work when door opens either, although the dome light can still be turned on with the ceiling mounted buttons. The floor lights do function when the door is opened as do the exterior courtesy lights and all interior lights when I approach.

Myself and the 3rd party installer I hired thought it was a fuse thing. Connecting the battery somehow caused a fuse to blow. I've check all the fuses, engine compartment and driver foot well but all fuses seem fine. Now I hear there's this anti-theft feature that when the vehicle logs a power disconnect, the radio system and all functions associated shut down. 

I'm reading conflicting messages about this this code, that it applies to older cars, not gen6 ES300h's and newer. At any rate, even if I had a code, I get no prompt from the nav screen when I power up, it's MIA. If I did get a prompt, how do I enter a numarical code without a key pad. If this said code needs to be added via the APP, I can't do that because Lexus has abandoned to old APP and my car is not compilable with the new version, or so I'm told by in APP support rep.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any solutions before I fight with the installer or go back to my dealership and pay them to 'enter a code'.

IMG_0654.heic

So the first thing your guy did was hook up to the diagnostic port and check that all systems are operating correctly.  Dealers do that too.  Once you have that information, if you decide the head unit is suspect, you can then look on eBay Motors for a used 2014 Lexus salvage head unit that offers a return policy if it ends up not being the problem.  

If that sounds like too much work, check with the parts department.  The unit might still be in their inventory refurbished.  Life is no fun without an entertainment system.

Thanks Les Lex for your input,

When I failed to find any blown fuses, I reported back to third party refurbished hybrid battery installer. They were at a loss and weren't interested in sending their tech back to resolve the issue.  They said "go to the dealership" we will stand behind our work. The dealership confirmed (after a $180 diagnostic fee) there is power to the radio and no ground issues. It is indeed dead. Quote from dealer, $2910.00 for a new radio + lcd screen. No refurbished unit in their back stock.

So this company is on the hook for $3090.00, if they honor their service. I'm not going to expect them to pay for a brand new radio to replace a ten year old one but I do expect to be reimbursed for the dealer diagnosis fee, the cost of a used unit and installation fee.

Jury is still out as I fight that battle.  Just a tip for those replacing a broken radio, there is a number below the volume control to left, for me its a 6 digits. This should match replacement unit or risk non compatibility issues.

• Thanks 1