Original Window Tint?

The 94 LS4000 I bought a while back has one rear passenger window tinted with an area that is scratched and damaged. I'd like to have the tint on this window replaced, but am wondering if a local tint installer can install the correct color-It's a really dark tint, due to living in the South. I think this tint was factory installed. Is there any difference in factory vs. later tints? Or is there a way to tell-before it's installed? Is there a Lexus tint number, etc ???

The worst thing would be to have non-matching tinted windows.

Thanks.

Why do you want to keep the old one?

If I were you, I'd replace the existing tint, and re-install it. This way it will be new, not faded, and matching. I'd also check with the Texas DMV or DPS and find out what the legal limit is, since Maryland has a 35% limit. You should have something lower than that, like a 20% or maybe even 5% :D

Good luck.

Suggest you go to a window tint place and see if they can match the tint. If not, go to another. Match the tint regardless of what Texas requires. As you said: sure would look funny if one window was lighter than the others.

Mine was factory installed and yours probably was also[regardless of what Lexus will tell you]; one thing for sure I wouldn't have wanted to pay for a tinter to remove all side windows and the rear glass to tint them as they would have had to be done. And then reinstall !!!!

They can also probably remove the tint on that one window better than you [or I] could.

you might have to retint whole car since tints tend to fade in a couple of years and there might be no color like yours oin the shop. oh and its not factory tint. factory tint is either spayed or the window is made from the colored glass.

I'd also check with the Texas DMV or DPS and find out what the legal limit is, since Maryland has a 35% limit. You should have something lower than that, like a 20% or maybe even 5%

the lower the number the darker the tint

ie....5% is blackout tint, you cant see in, illegal in all states

35%-40% is usually the lightest tint that most shops carry

--his may not be factory tint but mine must be---again: the side windows and back glass have been removed to install it.

Do you really think that a dealer or an individual would do this: I don't think so. for instance, there is about 80 clips on the rear glass. very hard to deal with.

Has anyone else looked closely to see if their tint could have been installed by an individual?

This is not that important to me now but was since I went to an inspection station and was going to be charged extra; they said it had tint installed that was not factory. But that is resolved now--I just go somewhere else. Lexus would not write a waiver letter----think they were too embarassed to admit it.

Look closely at the tint---on mine, it is under the 'buttons' and goes all the way under the panels and to the edges. There is NO way that could be done unless all the interior panels were removed and the glass taken out before the film was applied.

I just don't think it could be done less than $1000. by someone other than the factory and don't think anyone would spend that kind of money to do it.

If I had bought the car new then I really would know wouldn't I . There again, maybe mine is the only car like this !!!! Interesting.

My 1995 LS400 seems to have "film" that is supposed to be "factory", it is kinda bronze, but very light. It is being removed Tuesday for between $50 to $100 & re done with diamond film for $159, I am doing legal (35%) on the rear (with defroster), 10% on the rear sides & 20% on the front sides. I will let you know how it goes...

1995 dont come with tint from the factory, i did tint on my car myself with my friend. it took us 4 hours do to the whole car and i have 20% tint.