Is service needed when its only been 4k miles since last service?

Have a 2013 GS 350 with 51k miles on it.  We last a service in January 2020 when it has 47k miles on it.  So it's only been 4k miles since then, but it has been 1.5 years.  My question is what service do you think is needed?  The dealership is pushing for the 60k service (which is +$800).  Just an oil change? The 50k maintenance doesn't have an oil change so trying to decide between the 3 (oil change vs 50k vs 60k)

Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I think I would go for the oil change as this can degrade over time in the engine.
I reckon any future buyer would consider that Coronavirus and lockdown periods where people weren't doing the mileage is a good reason for adapting service plans to take this into account

What other items besides an oil change does a 60k service include? 

My truck for example reccomends tire rotation at 60, but not 50 since it reccomends that at 15k intervals. 

It also reccomends tranny fluid change at 60k based on every 30k. 

Neither one I'd opt for based on the truck sitting around but……yeah get rid of that motor oil since it may be loaded with condensation from warming and cooling.  And I'd have them check my battery out. But some places include a battery check with an oil change/service.

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Maddie 15 said:

Can I run synthetic oil in my GS 350

Yes, I run synthetic in all of my vehicles. I tend to change it every year but lately, I've been waiting longer because of the very low miles being driven.

But the big question is: "What does your manual indicate is necessary at 60K miles, unless there is a time associated with distance"  If you've reached the stated time and fluids need to be changed, then yes, that is recommended.

Yes you can but probably don't need to. The modern day conventional oil is incredible at properly lubricating moving parts and does not cling to parts like in the old days. 

I drive a Ford F-150 for work and keep the oil changed every 5k miles or 90 days, whichever comes first. At oil change time when checking the dipstick I still have to look at the stick at an angle for the wet spot because the crank case is so clean. I use Valvoline conventional. 

The reason for not going longer than 90 days is because the motor idles a lot. Sometimes the oil life is at 10% with less than 3000 miles. That and frequent short trips means the motor heats and cools a few times a day leading to condensation inside the engine. The water in the tailpipe is condensation from the exhaust heating and cooling. A little bit is normal. Say a few table spoons at a time.  But if it leaves a pond on a regular basis that is a good indicator to change oil by time. 

Another indicator is the cap you remove to fill the crank case with oil. If it has a film of yellow or white residue that is also a sign of condensation. 

I spoke to a mechanic who was telling me that many Mercedes owners were coming in with oil sludge in their engines because they waited too long in between oil changes and they were not using the recommended synthetic oil. I believe that turbo engines and those that are not maintained properly can benefit from synthetic oils. I like them because I'd rather change the oil only one per year.

Costco has a great synthetic oil now that is very reasonably priced. I just picked up a couple packs of 5-gallon containers.