Can some one give me some ideas on how big of a wheel I can get with out affecting the ride on a 99GS400. I want to go to 20 but if it will affect the ride then I will go down. What are my options on this?

not to disect your question, but, from the sounds of it, you would really be concerned with the tires sidewall, not the diameter of the rim. a 20" rim seems to work best with 30 series, maybe a 35 series tire. Either one of those are short sidewalls.

You can obviously find tires in 30-40 (45?) sidewall height for 18, 19 and 20" rims. (yeah, I'm fudging numbers just a hair for perspective)

sounds like you want a good balance of ride quality and big rim. Sounds like 18 or 19 inches to me.

(and an appropriate selection of coilovers or springs and new struts)

What wheels are on your car right now? 16s? 17s? If 17s, then you can probably go to 18s without feeling too much a difference. 19s and 20s you will. If you are riding on 16s, then you are not going to be able to keep that ride. People driving on OEM 16s who upgraded to OEM 17s can already feel the ride quality change.

not to disect your question, but, from the sounds of it, you would really be concerned with the tires sidewall, not the diameter of the rim. a 20" rim seems to work best with 30 series, maybe a 35 series tire. Either one of those are short sidewalls.

You can obviously find tires in 30-40 (45?) sidewall height for 18, 19 and 20" rims. (yeah, I'm fudging numbers just a hair for perspective)

sounds like you want a good balance of ride quality and big rim. Sounds like 18 or 19 inches to me.

Thanks for the reply, I must tell you I am a complete IDIOT when it comes to wheels,tires and then lowering the car. I think I will go with 19in rims.....so can you recommend to me size tires to get and what I would need for lowering the car so there is not much space between the wheel well and the tire. I know this is asking alot but I really need advice from so people who know what they are doing..THANKS!!

Thanks for the reply, I must tell you I am a complete IDIOT when it comes to wheels,tires and then lowering the car. I think I will go with 19in rims.....so can you recommend to me size tires to get and what I would need for lowering the car so there is not much space between the wheel well and the tire. I know this is asking alot but I really need advice from so people who know what they are doing..THANKS!!

A few more questions:

Budget? For wheels? For suspension?

Are you going staggered meaning wider rims in the back vs. the front? Or are you staying with the same size for all 4?

Are you willing to shave the inner fender tabs? If you look inside your wheel well at the fender, you will see a black trim that covers the metal. Are you willing to shave some of that off? Some people don't.

The answers to these questions will allow a more meaningful response for your needs. :)

First off you don't want to put a 30 series tire up front.. There's too much weight with the engine, you'll endup killing your rims..

With 19" rims you can go with a 40 series tire for the biggest side wall possible, I think that's one size down from what comes on the factory 17's.. But I could be wrong, it's been at least 2 years since I looked at mine.. You're not going to have a smooth ride like on the 16's but you'll be fine..

Neo, quik question... Why would he need to shave any metal??

The black plastic is misleading. It covers up some metal too. If you start to shave, once you get the initial 1 or 2 mm of plastic, you will start to hit the metal of the fender.

not to disect your question, but, from the sounds of it, you would really be concerned with the tires sidewall, not the diameter of the rim.   a 20" rim seems to work best with 30 series, maybe a 35 series tire.   Either one of those are short sidewalls.

You can obviously find tires in 30-40 (45?) sidewall height for 18, 19 and 20" rims.  (yeah, I'm fudging numbers just a hair for perspective)

sounds like you want a good balance of ride quality and big rim.   Sounds like 18 or 19 inches to me.

First off you don't want to put a 30 series tire up front.. There's too much weight with the engine, you'll endup killing your rims..

With 19" rims you can go with a 40 series tire for the biggest side wall possible, I think that's one size down from what comes on the factory 17's.. But I could be wrong, it's been at least 2 years since I looked at mine.. You're not going to have a smooth ride like on the 16's but you'll be fine..

MrSypher is right. No 30 series up front for 19s. The normal setup is 35 series. If you want to do the "fat" setup, you can run 40 series tires. This will give you the same outside diameter as 20s. This is a good compromise setup since you get the height benefits of 20s while getting the ride benefits of 18s. You also get all the potential rubbing problems of 20s though.

A few more questions:

Budget? For wheels? For suspension?

Are you going staggered meaning wider rims in the back vs. the front? Or are you staying with the same size for all 4?

Are you willing to shave the inner fender tabs? If you look inside your wheel well at the fender, you will see a black trim that covers the metal. Are you willing to shave some of that off? Some people don't.

The answers to these questions will allow a more meaningful response for your needs. :)

WOW, I didn't know there was so many options to consider. I don't want to shave the inside of the fender and I would like all wheels to be tha same width. So now what do you think???

not to disect your question, but, from the sounds of it, you would really be concerned with the tires sidewall, not the diameter of the rim.  a 20" rim seems to work best with 30 series, maybe a 35 series tire.  Either one of those are short sidewalls.

You can obviously find tires in 30-40 (45?) sidewall height for 18, 19 and 20" rims.  (yeah, I'm fudging numbers just a hair for perspective)

sounds like you want a good balance of ride quality and big rim.  Sounds like 18 or 19 inches to me.

Mr Spyher, since your car looks so good. Tell me what setup you think I should get without hampering my ride quality...It looks like you are saying 19in with 40 series tires. ...Is that CORRECT!! Also can you tell me where the front towo 02 sensors are?

Check it, IMO a 40 series tire is too thick, but your worried about your ride quality and with a 40 series tire the ride will be alittle better than if you went with a 35 series.. But the look of it is slightly off with thicker sidewalls, that's my opinion.. As for the 02 sensors, if you look down at your engine, to the left off you cats you'll see them sticking out.. They almost have a spark plug look to them..

A few more questions:

Budget?  For wheels?  For suspension?

Are you going staggered meaning wider rims in the back vs. the front?  Or are you staying with the same size for all 4?

Are you willing to shave the inner fender tabs?  If you look inside your wheel well at the fender, you will see a black trim that covers the metal.  Are you willing to shave some of that off?  Some people don't.

WOW, I didn't know there was so many options to consider. I don't want to shave the inside of the fender and I would like all wheels to be tha same width. So now what do you think???

Well, if you are not planning on running staggerred wheels, then you probably won't have to worry too much about rubbing in the rear since the width won't be that wide. 8.5" will be a safe width but with the right offset, you can also run 9" widths. If you stay with 245/35 tires, you will probably be OK. If you go 245/40, then there may be rubbing in front at extreme turn radii. BUT, like I said earlier, the 40s will give you a softer ride.

Anyway, here is a pic of one of my friend's car. He is running staggerred RezaxIIs like MrSypher but with the fat setup: 40f, 35r vs. 35f, 30r like MrSypher.

22831DSC01236-med.JPG

A few more questions:

Budget?  For wheels?  For suspension?

Are you going staggered meaning wider rims in the back vs. the front?  Or are you staying with the same size for all 4?

Are you willing to shave the inner fender tabs?  If you look inside your wheel well at the fender, you will see a black trim that covers the metal.  Are you willing to shave some of that off?  Some people don't.

Well, if you are not planning on running staggerred wheels, then you probably won't have to worry too much about rubbing in the rear since the width won't be that wide. 8.5" will be a safe width but with the right offset, you can also run 9" widths. If you stay with 245/35 tires, you will probably be OK. If you go 245/40, then there may be rubbing in front at extreme turn radii. BUT, like I said earlier, the 40s will give you a softer ride.

Anyway, here is a pic of one of my friend's car. He is running staggerred RezaxIIs like MrSypher but with the fat setup: 40f, 35r vs. 35f, 30r like MrSypher.

22831DSC01236-med.JPG

OK fellows I think I have it figured out now....245/35 front and back on 19 inch rims...HOW DOES THAT SOUND TO YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!. tHANKS FOR THE 02 SENSOR INFORMATION MR SPHYER!!

Check it, IMO a 40 series tire is too thick, but your worried about your ride quality and with a 40 series tire the ride will be alittle better than if you went with a 35 series.. But the look of it is slightly off with thicker sidewalls, that's my opinion.. As for the 02 sensors, if you look down at your engine, to the left off you cats you'll see them sticking out.. They almost have a spark plug look to them..

iF i AM LOOKING AT THE ENGINE IS THERE 2 CATS ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE ENGINE, AND THEN TO THE LEFT OF THE CATS...IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING??