We are looking to sell a 2007 ES350 w/ less than 13,000 miles. No, it’s not a typo…read more below.

Good day everyone,

Thanks for reading my first post. As the username and title suggests, I am looking to sell a 2007 ES 350 which has very, very low mileage and has been sparingly driven since it was purchased in 2007. As family driver circumstances have evolved, we no longer need this vehicle. It is owned by my mother, who, due to several factors, has not driven the vehicle in over 12 years (aside from twice a year maintenance at the dealership, and short, monthly drives around the neighborhood to keep the engine in working condition). The vehicle is a “cream puff” so to speak, and I figured if there were interest in this car, this website seemed like an ideal place to ask a few questions (while passive-aggressively also looking for a buyer 😎 - just being honest, folks). I am hopeful that via the vast knowledge of the users of this forum and website, there will be at least one person who is looking for this exact vehicle.

Some details about the car: This ES350 has been meticulously cared for by One Owner and includes all records and keys. All maintenance has been completed by Lexus Dealerships here  in California. It still smells like a new car inside, no joke. Non-smoker, no collisions or damage and always garaged. Bonus: Cassette desk…if you are like me you still have your music on tape stored away somewhere. 😀

Color: White exterior, Cream interior 

Mileage: 12,400

When it was in for service two months ago, my dad said he asked some of the folks at the dealership what they would pay to buy the vehicle. He was quoted $ 3500.00 - which I chalked up as a salesperson trying to take advantage of an elderly person’s lack of knowledge of the topic. Personally I find this practice Shameful but I am not surprised on how some prey on the elderly just for a buck.
I researched quickly online and found a similar car with 32,000 miles selling for almost $18,000. My question to the group is does that seem like a reasonable offer or should I request more? I wanted to ask what you all thought would be a fair price to someone who was a collector or has a spec interest in this year and model.

What would ask for as far as price if you were needing to sell this car? I understand the market for vehicles is at a high, and feel they would benefit from selling the car since they no longer drive or need the car. They could certainty use the funds as they are on a fixed income and I want to improve their quality of life & do not want them getting ripped off. 

Thank you for reading and taking the time, I look forward to hearing what you all have to suggest. Some photos are here for an idea of the car. It really needs a good detail and it will look amazing.

Many thanks,

-Mike

79ABD730-22FA-4531-8082-624FA0C9E155.jpeg

123B12FB-18B3-40AB-A473-87FECA19889F.jpeg

C710E92D-3878-42C0-9B86-B34D7C99ACB0.jpeg

F3D85969-837C-479A-9D2C-1EA16F18DEDD.jpeg

• Like 1

These cars have incredible resale value. 

Keep in mind that most sale prices you see are at a dealer who jack up prices versus a private sale. 

Market area plays a role too. In San Fransisco CA for example it would likely have a higher resale value than say Diluth Montanna. 

Thank you for your insight on this topic, I sincerely appreciate it! I did my due diligence and came up with asking 18,000. I know this seems high, but I figured since it is a unique opportunity for an exceptional vehicle it was a good starting price. This unique situation Combined with the facts we live in Southern California where one truly needs a car to get around (since there is no effective public transport like on the east coast or virtually every major metro in the world) and life is overall more expensive here defined my price. Certainly there can be negotiations, but it would have to be less than 20% of the asking price. There is no rush to sell this car either so we can afford to wait for the discriminating buyer. 😎

I recommend that you take a look at autotrader.com and go to "Advanced search". Enter as many details as you can to compare what others are asking. Certainly, the low odometer reading raises the asking price.  

In all honestly that’s very low mileage and cars not driven much with low mileage cause trouble only in long run with oil leaks as the rubber gasket giveaway if they are not going through heating and cooling cycle. Also the transmission mounts, engine mounts, rubber bushings, ball joints rubber covers all give up and cause issues.  I have a lot of bad experience on my BMW with low miles so not just making stuff up. But this is a Lexus so again I’m not sure of quality of materials used. 
I suggest try carvana. I just sold my 2017 Es350 with 27k miles for $27.5k and I paid the same for this car a year ago and drove 17k on it. and also this offer was better than what offers I got from private buyers. 
carmax was worst and vroom is another one you can try. 
18k seems higher for the year. These cars are reliable so if I have to pay 18k I would get a newer model with more miles and more options but that’s just my personal choice. 

You are correct in that you can't directly compare BMWs to Lexus vehicles. Here is Consumer Reports' manufacturer reliability rankings as per their chart published this year. 

Lexus is 3rd and BMW is in 12th place. I would surmise that this 2007 Lexus is not leaking fluids nor that it has any bad suspension components.   

Reliability ratings 1.jpg

Don’t know why Lexus IS 3rd. I would put it first however that doesn’t discount the fact that they won’t go bad with age. Age deteriorates everything weather it’s living thing or non living thing 🙂

it’s just a matter of time when things starts to go bad. I also have a 2007 es350 for past 10years with 80k miles and I just had to replace a bunch of stuff including water pump/alternator/thermostat/rotors etc and then my sisters 2007 Camry with 350k and all original without issues as it’s a daily driver for her 50-80 miles daily ever since she got it. 

a moving body is in shape and performs better then the one that sits around doing nothing 🙂

Well, it used to be that luxury vehicles had all kinds of bells and whistles, years before the "lower class' vehicles did. But that's not always the case anymore. Most Mazdas are more like Audis when it comes to interiors and quietness. I had a 1989 Mazda MX6 GT Turbo until it was 25 years old and its interior still looked great. Certainly, keeping a vehicle garaged helps but piston engine Mazdas have always been very reliable. I currently have a 2014 Mazda3 (bought new) with tech package. It has radar cruise, a heads-up display (via popup lens), a super capacitor that takes the electrical load off of air conditioning and steering, blind spot monitoring, etc, etc. It has been perfectly reliable. I also have a 2008 MX5 - excellent reliability, also.

The trick to maintaining great reliability is not necessarily to pile on the miles, it is making sure that the vehicle does not sit for extended periods of time. If you go on a 20 mile + trip once per week, your car will not fall apart after 15 years. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 7:33 AM, Bykfixer said:

These cars have incredible resale value. 

Keep in mind that most sale prices you see are at a dealer who jack up prices versus a private sale. 

Market area plays a role too. In San Fransisco CA for example it would likely have a higher resale value than say Diluth Montanna. 

• 7 months later...